nighthawk

Chest shots on varmits

So out varmit calling yesterday my buddy Roy calls in a bobcat. He comes to about 40yrds facing me. I start aim at head moving down to chest then squeeze.. Boom cat goes down doing what I thought was the death run on the ground for about a minute or less. Then gets up and trots down the hill before I could get another in him. I was shocked!! 22-250 with 50grain zmax at 3700fps was the pill delivered. Where he went down there was about 1.5ft area of hair and this peice of bone. Also 10yrds behind where he was was a 1"peice of skin with hair attached to it . No blood what so ever. Now this is the second time this has happened to me but the first time was a yote I shot with 17hmr. The yote froze then fell over yelpping then after a bit hobbled off into a wash. The 22-250 has some heat behind it but wtf could have happened? Bullet exploded on sternum?? Any of you guys experience this before? I didn't want to shoot the cat in the head but after this now I'm wondering.....post-3282-0-26799400-1450646325_thumb.jpegpost-3282-0-92677300-1450646337_thumb.jpeg

now he's got 8 lives left!!! thats baffling...my 22-250 leaves gaping holes

I switched from .22 caliber to a heavier 6mm after I lost several animals. I shoot an 87 grain vmax at 3450 fps. I have only lost 2 animals in the last 6 years. One of them got in the salt cedar and I couldn't go very far in. It doesn't matter where you hit them, they just die. I even tried using a 69 grain hollow point chambered in .223 and lost animals. David

Guest 300ultramag.

With varmint hunting it can turn into a rodeo in an instant and be over just as quick. With less than optimal opportunities you need to tip the scales in your favor. EitherThrow heavier sleeping pills and risk the hide or get a semi auto. Maybe an ar platform with 22-250s screaming down range.

Don't think the cartridge/bullet was the issue assuming you didn't shoot through brush. At best bobcats weigh 25#'s. Any body cavity or central nervous system hit is devastating in my experience.

My experience with head shots is bang-flop without any head fur damage. .22lr on quite a few foxes and a few coyotes, and .223 on a few more coyotes.

A lot of white fur witch is normally belly and low on chest so hard to tell unless saw impact, but my guess is low graze

40 yards. What is your scope mounting height and your zero range? I bet you hit low and missed the heart, breaking a rib or sternum. If that cat survives, he is going to be SORE!

40 yards. What is your scope mounting height and your zero range? I bet you hit low and missed the heart, breaking a rib or sternum. If that cat survives, he is going to be SORE!

Zero at 100 . The lion I just shot was at 20 or less with same gun. If it shoots low maybe 1/2 to 3/4" . I have shot cans inside of 20yrds. The first time I have ever seen bone on the ground instead of blood. 😮

Sounds to me like ya almost missed him. Maybe skinned him on the chest a little and chipped of a little brisket or a rib. Lark.

• Like 1