Sign in to follow this  
Jnj13

Never gave up!

My December archery muley isn’t huge but it was a huge accomplishment for me. My first deer kill with a bow. I’ve been at it since the December 2014 archery season and estimate I spent 40 days in the field, 20+ failed stalks, missed a giant the first time I let an arrow fly and this being only the second arrow ever shot at a deer I finally connected, double lunged him, from 82 yards.

My son and I spent the morning hiking into a spot we had seen some other bucks. Only found 1 and made a long hike to try and cut him off. Never saw that buck again. Out of water and about noon we decided to head back to the truck and try 1 more spot. Hiking over to the canyon my son spotted a deer not even 100 yards from us. A small couse buck. I made an easy little stalk on him and got to 50 yards, full draw, just need him to step out left from an ocotillo. I reset and he bolted 2 canyons over. Archery mistake number …. My son said let’s go take a look and when we set up in the other canyon I spotted my mule deer bedded down at the bottom of the canyon in the thick nasty stuff with 4 does. I left him on the binos and headed down. Took an hour to get to my marker trying my best to stay quiet. It wasn’t enough. I see 3 does bust out. Quickly I move up the side of the canyon 5 yards or so to get a better view. He’s still there with 1 doe. They’re looking my direction. I literally lay flat against the slope for 20 minutes and let them calm down. Peeking my head up every so often I finally range that doe at 82 yards. I guess the buck will follow her and when he hits that spot I need to make my move. I got to 1 knee, drew, got my anchor and schwack! Total pass through. These new PSE bows are so fast and so accurate. I don’t even have an 80 yard pin but I know my bow- I also know I got lucky. Double lunged. He dropped within 50 yards. I can see my son up the canyon jumping up and down. What a feeling to finally kill a deer with my bow. Thanks to my buddy Jason for helping me get that deer out.

Can’t wait for January.

Thanks for letting me share the story and a few pics.

post-13914-0-72507500-1451398401.jpg

post-13914-0-69593800-1451398402.jpg

post-13914-0-56571800-1451398403.jpg

post-13914-0-39693000-1451398404_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice. Great write up. Congrats on your first with a bow. Great deer

• Like 1

Awesome job congrats on your first archery deer

• Like 1

That's a huge accomplishment.

• Like 1

Nice buck man! Congrats on getting it done! Anything with a bow is truly a trophy!

• Like 1

Thanks all. Quick question. I took the hide and was thinking about getting it tanned but Wellers quoted me $225?!?! Is that the going rate? Any suggestions?

Great job

• Like 1

Awesome stuff!

• Like 1