bigorange

Update with Pics/Story: First archery deer and my biggest buck yet!

Not much story to it since it was a lucky opportunity that happened quickly with no elaborate stalk. Just lucky timing and things went just right.

My buddy and I were out for a quick morning hunt in an area he has hunted a lot the past couple of years and I've been with him several times. He killed a buck there last week and I missed one 2 weeks ago (maybe this same buck that I killed) all within maybe a 300 yd area. Anyway we were heading to our first glassing spot and see a herd of does at the base of the hill. Try to pick out a buck for several minutes but can't, so we go on to glass. We've spotted more does and moved on to another spot when I glass back to the original herd and see that a buck has joined them.

We circled back around to get the wind right and my buddy got a vantage point to help on the stalk. Not much of a stalk as I was almost immediately out in the open about 95 yards from the buck. He was pushing does around and they were the most vocal deer I've ever heard. Almost like a herd of elk with all the bleating by does and fawns and the buck grunting as he tended them. Frozen still and they never knew I was there until I shifted my footing and one doe pegged me. I was sure this would end like so many other stalks with the doe blowing out and taking the rest with her.

After a good old standoff and staredown, the doe starts walking toward me and bringing the buck with her. I'd ranged enough bushes and yuccas before they spotted me that I knew where I could shoot. The buck came broadside at 60 yards so I decided to draw, again expecting the doe to blow out and ruin the stalk. No idea what happened, but when I squeezed the release it didn't fire...the hesitation caused me to jerk the shot and I see my arrow sail 10 yards wide. The buck stopped at 70 and gave me a 2nd shot. This one released much smoother but was a bad hit but decent penetration. I can see the arrow sticking out as he goes over the edge of the hill.

I walk over to where he stood and grab my missed arrow...that same doe just looked at me and let me get 20 yards from her before taking off with the rest of the herd. My buddy tells me he didn't see the shot or the hit, but saw the buck run off with lots of blood showing. I make a beeline to the last spot I saw the buck hoping to see where he went to make trailing a little easier. At the time I don't even notice the heavy blood trail.

post-5622-0-41289100-1451943548_thumb.jpg

Scanning for movement on the far side of the cut I see antler sticking up next to a yucca...he's down and thanks to the Swhacker he went maybe 100 yards despite a bad hit.

post-5622-0-86628800-1451943563_thumb.jpg

Couldn't be happier with my first archery deer and biggest buck yet! Gonna be a long 363 days before I can hunt AZ deer again...
post-5622-0-21405900-1451890001_thumb.jpeg

post-5622-0-61571700-1458065830_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

Awesome buck!

• Like 1

Nice job

James

• Like 1

Dude what a stud of a buck! Congrats!

• Like 1