CouesWhitetail

another roadkill - 3 more deer dead

This doe was hit last night on hwy 77 south of Globe. I actually drove by her earlier in the night and she was standing dangerously close to the road. About 45 mins later we came through again and she was dead in the road right there. Very depressing. Went back this morning to see if she had fawns and again like the last road kill doe, she had 2 perfect fawns that were just about ready to be born. The fawns were about 18 inches long from nose to tail. Seems like such a waste of a resource. I have contacted AGFD to see if they want the fawns for mounting for education.

Amanda

post-1-1185299931_thumb.jpg

post-1-1185299957_thumb.jpg

I wish I would quit finding these too. They ruin my day and make me nauseous. I hope by posting this that people will drive a little slower in high density deer areas during high activity times (like dawn and dusk). I know most of these collisions are unavoidable, but perhaps a little more caution might save some deer.

Doug, I am not going to start freezing them until AGFD tells me they want them. I have contacted several AGFD personnel and so far no one needs them. So the scavengers are getting full.....ugh. I am hoping some starving bear will find the carcass. We dragged it a ways off the road so they might be able to eat it without getting killed also.

Amanda

You outta see the roads in the TX hill country.. You literally can't go a 1/2 mile without seeing a dead deer that had been hit.. It really is beyond belief in some areas..

:o Again? Thats so sad. Now thats four little perfect fawns that almost made it. Its really sad how in just two incidents six deer were lost. What a shame! :(

Amanda, really sad to see those fawns never even get a chance. It is amazing how many animals are killed on the freeways each year, as well as a lot of people that get hurt. My cousin Jeff has been working on this problem for the last 5 or 6 years for the AZGFD and has a lot of success. He was involved with the project along hwy 260 near Christopher Creek, and now is trapping elk along the I17 near Munds Park. He has also been involved with projects with sheep and antelope around the state. So, I know game and fish is working on projects to prevent animals being hit. Just keep trying to get their attention, and maybe they will listen at some point. Jeff and his projects were hi-lighted in last months AZ Highways magazine. Next time I talk to him I will ask him what else we can do.

Darren

I think the fawns were both bucks.

That AGFD study is doing on highway collisions and elk should be a great one. If I remember right they are using cameras to sense large animals (ie elk) near the road and then that triggers warning signs for motorists to slow down. Sounds like a great project.

Amanda

During my scouting trips over the last couple months, I have seen a spike bull, calf, and doe mule deer hit on Lake Mary road. I think there was an elk hit near Kachina a while back by a truck. There was DPS checking out the vehicle when I went by and there was alot of front end damage. I really watch my speeds in the morning and evening while traveling these roads. I had four seperate instances where elk crossed the road right in front of me on 87 a while back. I can't believe how small those fawns are. Is it normal for them to have two fawns? David

I seen a mule deer fawn that had been hit by a car near gila bend yesterday, surprised me for that area.