Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

Anyone removed saltillo tile?

We boight a new house that has about 2k sqft of saltillo tile. It's not really our style so we plan on removing it. Ive been reading online its a pain to do and you can damage your sub floor if using a jack hammer . Anyone done this before? Thanks

It is usually stuck pretty hard. I have done quite a bit with chipping hammers and they can scar up the floor. Home depot now rents a makita 80# electric on wheels with about a six inch blade. I have seen them in action on tile and vct, and they work great . Im not sure how it would work on saltillo though.

• Like 2

Thats what im woried about is messing up the sub floor. I dont mind the hard work

There is a company on Craigslist that removes tile, plus he can lay new tile for you. I can't remember the name, but it's worth every penny. I have used him a couple times.

I used to own a company that did demolition and had to remove about 4K of Saltillo in a house in paradise valley. Never again. You will most likely have to re-float the floor before new tile, or just concrete filler if you do laminate. David

Thats what im woried about is messing up the sub floor. I dont mind the hard work

Is the existing tile on the concrete foundation slab? If so, a few dings and gouges in it is no big deal

• Like 1

You WILL mind the work after you have started it. Very labor intensive. If you plan on laying tile over the bare sub floor, i do not see you needing to refloat the whole floor. Maybe fill in a few small holes, but not refloat the entire floor. I would suggest paying someone if you can afford it. They will use the same hammers you will, but will get it done in a couple days. If you want to try it, I would say start with a small room, see how hard it is, and go from there. The type of thinset the previous installers used and how they prepped the sub floor will determine how hard it will be to remove. Good luck

• Like 1

Is the existing tile on the concrete foundation slab? If so, a few dings and gouges in it is no big deal

I retiled my floor. I had mostly wood and only tile in one bathroom, the entry and kitchen. I looked at renting a chipper but ended up buying a large rotory hammer. Worked great and now I have a tool I can continue using for other projects. And it was cheaper overall then the rental. If you are careful the slab will be just fine. The tile pops up pretty easily. The old thinset does come up easily also when you figure out the right angle. Just water it down frequently as the dust kicked up is a nightmare.

Guest 300ultramag.

2k is plenty enough. it can get dusty.i spent 3days pulling up Saltillo and it left a layer of dust on all of the home owners belongings wine glasses tvs cabinets etc. First and last time with Saltillo. Some times you can get lucky and grenade the Tiles with a hammer it all depends on how well the thinset held up. Have fun

Yes it's a bit of a pain to get up. But then again most tile is when it's set right. The problem with saltillo is that it's soft. It comes up in small pieces and creates a lot of dust. If you would like give me a call I can answer any questions on your project. Terry Lambeth (520)808-6950

• Like 1

what are you planning on putting over the floor?

it may be possible to float out the saltillo. still a mess, but less foul language.

i was a flooring contractor for 14 years, and never tore out tile. i always hired a convict from the half way house, gave him a dust mask and a rotary hammer with a tile bit and paid him per square foot, (so he wouldn't milk out the job). we would also hang plastic to keep the dust contained.

• Like 1