Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Guide Schools

So I've Gotten to the point where I want to make a major change in my life. I own my own company but I'm sick of the stress of running it not to mention the issues with employees etc. I have a friend that I can work for making more money as a sub where I just go do the work and don't have to run the biz side of things. His work slows down from oct. to jan. And since my dream job would be to be a guide I feel like I'm ready to give up my company go work for my buddy and guide during the winter. I've been looking into guide schools and I'm perfectly willing to pay to learn as much as possible in a short time but is it really worth it? I've seen ads for guides wanted where the outfitter is willing to train so would I be wasting my money? For the record I do know how to hunt, I've killed a few elk and several deer, however I know nothing about packing or horses and and love to learn anything that I can.

I could be totally wrong but I believe that Dwayne Adams of Arizona Big Game Hunting offers a guiding apprentice program. Also I remember something about Matt Schimberg of A3 outfitters doing something similar. If I was going to become a guide, I would be wanting to learn from an experienced guide. All that it will do is make you a better guide and prepare you for what you're getting into.

I highly recommend you start volunteering to help as many people on as many hunts as you can. Most outfitters are aslways in need of good camp cooks. You will learn very quickly how stressful it can be to carry someone else's hunt success on your shoulders. It's also a ton of fun, but don't think it's not going to be stressful. I would also recommend taking a hard look at yourself and your skills. If you drew a once in a lifetime tag would you pay yourself? Just a few things to consider!

• Like 7

I would think you could work for a successful guide if you have that kind of availability during hunting season. Good luck, I don't think people realize how much time these guys spend out there. Labor of love, and I would guess only the best are really making good money. I love helping people out just as much as love hunting for myself or with family members, but the fun stops when you get paid to deliver something to a shooter IMO....

Kudos to the guys who do it and consistently get it done in a big way.

• Like 1

Dont expect to make any money doing it. Might be able to break even if you are good.

There are some good guide schools in Montana. It is an investment in time and money, but they cover all the bases. A big emphasis in dealing with horses. For your final exam, you load up a packtrain of horses and mules, and pack into the back country to setup a camp.

Oh and dont forget you'll have to sell your soul to the devil if you want to make it

• Like 2

I would agree with everyone so far you have to spend probably 9 mo a year in the field

Royaltines guide school in Montana , very good but they lean heavily on the packing side so for an az guide most of that would be wasted. I think 3500.00 for a several week course. They have placement outfitters as well.

Royaltines guide school in Montana , very good but they lean heavily on the packing side so for an az guide most of that would be wasted. I think 3500.00 for a several week course. They have placement outfitters as well.

Very true. Many Arizona outfitters don't use horses,

Maybe bring on a partner with strong management and marketing skills to spread that part of the stress out while you concentrate on the part of the business you like. Then have more time for yourself with less heartache.

• Like 2

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/64163-pack-in-scouting-trip/

As was stated in this thread, ∆ Im willing to help anyone with a genuine want to learn. Leaving Tuesday with a hunter from Coueswhitetail that wants to learn packing.

Several years ago, I got fed up sleeping on the ground while my buddies packed in cots, chairs, tents and all the accoutrements that makes a great camp, splendid.

I asked a buddy to learn me. Went packing a minimum 3 days a week for several months. He put me on his green colts to school them while I learned packing from him.

Guide schools cannot teach you horsemanship in an abbreviated course. They mainly concentrate on Decker and sawbuck pack saddle tacking and fit, filling panniers and building top packs and different lash hitches. It's what you need to know but if you are like me, you have to do it repeatedly after school is out or you'll forget.

Come along on a pack trip and see if it's still something you want to do...

Got everything on this big boy for two hunters to be very comfortable a week or more. Tying the double diamond hitch. post-11051-0-38377100-1457197703_thumb.jpg

Stringing two

post-11051-0-44852400-1457197776_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-06522700-1457197832_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

When your fun turns to work, the fun starts to fade away.

This^^^. I've never guided but both my brother and dad did a little for a local outfitter a few years back. the hunters they had were regular joes that had saved for years to come to utah to hunt big mule deer. My dad and bro felt the pressure big time especially as the temps kept rising and all they could show these guys were 20" 3 points. They did end up killing some decent bucks but i know they both did not enjoy that their hobby and escape from everyday life had turned into a job and more stress.

having said that, if you have the grit and skill i could see it turning into something positive for you. Anything that's really worth doing won't be a walk in the park. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1