Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

What bases and rings?

After much thought and bargaining online with all sorts of folks I settled on a long range gun and bought it today. I went with a Savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. Now I need to outfit it with rings and a base. I haven't decided on what scope to use yet so I don't know if I'll need 1" rings or 30mm. Let me know opinions on both. What does everyone like? Thanks to all that have helped me out on here!

• Like 1

I would definitely go with either a 30mm or even 34mm scope. That being said, i use xhg force recon rings. They have been great, but a bit on the spendy side.

A 30mm or bigger scope only gives increased weight and more adjustment. If you don't need the adjustment.... You are fine with a 1". A 20 moa rail and a good 1" scope might get you out far enough. It all depends on what your goals are. A guy that wants a lightweight gun that shoots to 800 might be fine with a 1". If you're a bench rest guy shooting to a mile you won't get there with a 1".

I have the same rifle with xtreme hardcore gear 20moa base & 30mm ranger rings. I went with a vortex viper pst 6 x 24 x 50 mrad first focal plane scope.

I love my setup its a little heavier than other rifles, but it works for me. Also have a harris bipod.

Midway had the savage long action 20 moa NightForce base on sale for $57 plus free shipping last week. Got me one for my 300wm.

I go high quality bases and rings. I use either Seekins (on 4 rifles) or Badger Ordinance (on 2 rifles) Picatinny 20 MOA bases. Same with rings. Seekins (on 2 scopes) or Badger Ordinance (on 1 scope). I also have a set of TPS 30mm rings. Using Picatinny bases and corresponding rings allow quick and very easy swapping of scopes between rifles if the need arises.

I prefer 30mm or 34mm scope tubes. Not many higher end, high magnification scopes use a 1" tube anymore. Even most of the mid range scopes use at least a 30mm tube now.

• Like 1

+1 on the DNZ. I really like a one piece mount with integrated rings. A lot less points of failure than two separate bases and two rings connected to them.

• Like 3

I've been satisfied the Warne rings on my 7RM. They are heavy steel but well made.

• Like 1