Hucker

Card Hit - 2016 style

So I'm happily married. As in my wife "made" me go on the African Safari I've been saving for last years. It was pretty awesome. Hence no hookers. If any of you guys are interested PM me, it only took me 12 years of no coffees on the way to work.

Yea I am seriously thinking about it even though the pay is the same as I have here (which is enough to live on) since it is a lateral as a GS-12. I would give up easy access to an awesome hunting area I have exclusive access to only 10 minutes south of my work parking lot. The frustration of the unpredictability of the hunting access around here only adds to the "guarantee" of "easy" hunting.

Move to anchorage? If the pay was good enough, do they have an ok hooker scene? That's my only deal breaker.

Need to keep prioritys in mind.

Absolutely...........Kenai is just a couple of hours away where the King Salmon fishing is phenomenal and the caribou and moose hunting is at your finger tips.

Went there in 90' and camped in the forest for 4 months working in the canaries. The scenery, the fishing was awesome, the mosquitos sucked. Would have loved to have hunted but didn't have the knowledge/weapons to do so.

Do it...............

Yea I would love to arrow a moose. I have been talking to the guys at work and they all think I'm crazy that I wan't to poke a moose "with a stick" (said in the accent of Jeff Dunham). Hmmm waiting with everyone else trying to figure out if I need to start flinging arrows again or hunt in AK and apply for the impossible units for the next 10 years till I can retire to the lower 48?

Anchorage is just like any decent sized city, it's got the big box stores, chain restaurants just a little colder and windier than most. The cost of living will be higher than most places in the lower 48 due to its location. Also over half of Alaska population lives in Anchorage and the neighboring Matanuska Valley so it's not going to be very rural as you see on tv. But you do get to hunt everything! Very few draws, like kodiak island brown bear, certain units for sheep and elk. Caribou, moose, bear, deer, sheep, mountain goats are all over the counter for most units and the tags are cheap. Like free. I remember only paying for a brown bear tag and it was 50 bucks. Fishing is great too but I always just used a net for subsistence purposes. If you're all about the outdoors I would do it, I had to turn down a job in Juneau last year because I couldn't get the wife onboard. Good luck

Thanks rkv09, yea I have the wife onboard but I'm trying to consider what is best for the fam. After surviving what we have down here I have had a hard time believing that Alaska is the Eden I once thought it to be.

You get to hunt everything you want and every year too! Anchorage is the city but the wilderness is an hour or less drive/plane ride away. If I was you I would do in a heartbeat, wife didn't like the two week on two week off schedule. Just buy a lifetime hunting license before you leave AZ and put in for the rut hunts.

I already have the lifetime license so I've got that box checked. That's a no brainer if you have a mobile work situation. Thanks a lot for the input. I heard two Fridays ago that I was an extremely strong candidate and was asked the questions that only the "pick" gets asked so I anticipate the offer in another week and a half or so. That makes me think; if I get it, I may be hosting a place to camp up in AK for a place to camp down in AZ.

Ha, I didn't post my question. So yea. Would you guys head to Anchorage if you had a job lined up?

Yes

I have to agree tomharveyb. I have enjoyed watching everyone's responses. If this goes anything like it has for the last 7 years I'm just happy I still have a chance rather than being told I didn't get drawn.

I need ya'lls help on another matter though. I'm a couple weeks away from getting a job offer in Anchorage Alaska and I'm just waiting on this draw to happen to figure out if I should go or not. Yes I base my moves off of where I can hunt and a sure thing caribou tag is starting to beat a once a decade elk tag.

In 1983 my station chief approached me and asked if I'd like 12 months in King Salmon, AK. Told him I'd research it, I did and next day I told him I'd go. Too late he said, somebody smarter jumped on it.

15 years later I found myself there working in the fishing industry. Wish I had gone in '83.

Living in Alaska isn't all rainbows and sunshine as you might think. The money's good yes but the cost of living is higher. Property taxes suck too. It's a tough place to be full time for a lot of reasons.

The hunting?? Well it has it's pros and cons. If you think it's hard to draw AZ elk, antelope and deer tags as a resident, try drawing them as a non resident. And I assure you, you will get the itch to hunt traditional big game. Especially elk. When you do draw elk, deer or antelope tags, it becomes very expensive and time consuming to use those tags.

Sure you can hunt moose, caribou, bears and sheep here every year. I assure you it takes a lot of time, money and even more effort. Honestly, I hate most of the hunting here. It's always wet, cold and you're up to your nuts in muck or thorns.

No it's not impossible to hunt here and it's not impossible to enjoy the hunting. You just need to be aware of how difficult, expensive and time consuming it can be.

Regardless, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I'd give just about anything to be able to scout deer all year and chase rutting bucks every January in the desert close to home, scout elk every year while I wait for my turn to be drawn, shed hunting etc...and you guys would give anything to have moose and caribou tags every year.

I never want to discourage anybody from relocating to AK but they should know what they're getting into.

Regards!

M

• Like 1

Move to anchorage? If the pay was good enough, do they have an ok hooker scene? That's my only deal breaker.

I have an adult joke to tell you trpyhntr but PM's won't go through, maybe I am on your ignore list.