Hucker

Card Hit - 2016 style

Just got word from a reliable source that all of the early shed hunters that everyone is complaining about scared all the elk out of the state.... No draw this year. Maybe next year.

Coming upstairs this morning to get my cup of Jo, I felt like a little kid coming upstairs at Christmas time to see if Santa came.

Well Sorry to say he didn't.

Anchorage is a beautiful place. Be careful as I know with oil the economy has started to slip and there are many worried with the economy. Of course with the way our presidential election is going we should look forward to another war and that will drive the oil prices back up but 90% of the economy is based on oil and now the govt will be implementing state tax and taking away other govt benefits that were previously awarded. Hopefully that helps with some more information

supa, your old card will continue to work. I have the same thing going on and continue to use my old card w/no issues (almost 2 months now). There isn't a good reason for not changing it really, just haven't done it. My "old card" is good through December...

Now, whether or not it will be (someday) hit is another issue!

edit--- Personally, I wouldn't change it at the moment, wait a week or two until after the onslaught... maybe call your bank and tell them not to change it!

Hopefully you won't be one of the statistics that fall into the category of "drawn, but provided a failed card number". That would certainly make someone else very happy, but would at the same time be so wrong.

good luck

there will be a lot of issues with expiring cards if they wait until the end of the month. probably 1 in 36 or so cards will expire by the end of march since they are usually issued for 3 years.

supa, your old card will continue to work.

idk about that, i got a new card then just a couple weeks later i got an email from la fitness saying my old card wasnt working.

Living in Alaska isn't all rainbows and sunshine as you might think. The money's good yes but the cost of living is higher. Property taxes suck too. It's a tough place to be full time for a lot of reasons.

The hunting?? Well it has it's pros and cons. If you think it's hard to draw AZ elk, antelope and deer tags as a resident, try drawing them as a non resident. And I assure you, you will get the itch to hunt traditional big game. Especially elk. When you do draw elk, deer or antelope tags, it becomes very expensive and time consuming to use those tags.

Sure you can hunt moose, caribou, bears and sheep here every year. I assure you it takes a lot of time, money and even more effort. Honestly, I hate most of the hunting here. It's always wet, cold and you're up to your nuts in muck or thorns.

No it's not impossible to hunt here and it's not impossible to enjoy the hunting. You just need to be aware of how difficult, expensive and time consuming it can be.

Regardless, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I'd give just about anything to be able to scout deer all year and chase rutting bucks every January in the desert close to home, scout elk every year while I wait for my turn to be drawn, shed hunting etc...and you guys would give anything to have moose and caribou tags every year.

I never want to discourage anybody from relocating to AK but they should know what they're getting into.

Regards!

M

Yea, the grass always does seem greener somewhere else.......I have a great friend that lives in a small village out in the bush. And most of September seems to be rainy and moose hunting is tough. Wearing rain gear and rubber boots all day does get old. Especially motoring up river in an open boat during a rain storm. My flight to his village takes two days and about $1000. Out of state moose tags are $400. Thankfully, my friend has all the gear and weapons, and all I have to bring up is my personal gear.

It is much more expensive for him to come to AZ and hunt elk. But, the odds of good weather in AZ is much better and he always says that you can't put a price tag on sunshine!