Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Lighted Nocks

I'm interested in hearing reasons of why CWT archers use or do not use a lighted nock in their hunting applications.

I use them on every hunting arrow in my quiver after I've practiced and tested them along with my broadheads in the weeks leading up to the hunt. Here are a couple experiences that made me a believer. Please share yours, positive or negative!

A few years ago I had a late archery hunt and moved in on what I thought was a small herd of cows with a couple raghorns mixed in. I ended up being in a herd of 60+ feeding elk and after a couple hours of crawling around them to keep the wind in my favor, I finally made it to my mark of 60 yards from a good 6x6 bedded on the fringe of the herd. I released an arrow at what I would consider the last possible moment the light of day would allow. Unfortunately, my arrow stuck in the dirt over a foot below the bulls belly, albeit perfect left/right. The lighted nock was the only reason I knew I missed, and because I missed so badly, when the bull stood up and looked around after the first shot, I elected not to shoot again. Turns out, after taking a 30 yard practice shot the next morning in camp to see what happened, I shot the bottom of the target eventually running another arrow into the dirt. On the stalk that day, I distinctly remember my bow getting caught on a branch as I slipped down the wet hillside. The peep caught a branch and was pulled down an 1/8". From this tough I experience, in addition to marking my bow string with a sharpie where the peep is supposed to be in the event it ever moves again, I knew with 100% certainty I was a fan of the lighted nock. Although I didn't get the bull, and the second shot could have been perfect, I really believe I saved a wounded bull and a crappy hunting experience..

Since that elk hunt, I've arrowed a few critters. From arrows passing through the animal and sticking in the dirt behind them, or bouncing off a rock and entering the next canyon, lighted nocks have helped me make better decisions in the heat of the moment. I know they're an expensive addition to an already expensive arrow, but IMO, those moments/decisions are worth the $10.

What about you?

• Like 2

At the time (2012), when the VAPs and other micro diameter arrows were still getting popular, I went with the Nockturnal G Nock. I've read some poor reviews on them since but I am still rolling with them. I have had very good success with reliability. My personal preference, RED RED RED! I tried a 3 pack of green and visibility is NOT comparable.

Which ones do you use? I want to try some. Sounds like you are for them. I think they look cool as heck and since theres no better sight than seeing an arrow disappear into a big game animal, it could only be cooler with a lighted nock. Do they change the point of impact much or is the weight not a factor? I have never used them.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone's setup, but the POI change was insignificant from my bow at my max shooting distance of 60 yards with my ~450gr, 300 spine VAP with SS 92gr inserts. I have a relatively high FOC so if anything the heavier nock balances it out?? Someone will chime in with more knowledge than me I hope.

When I was using 3 blade muzzys, I would always have to move things over an inch or so from my field tips. When I put on the lighted nock with a mechanical, they were still dead on. YMMV.

• Like 2

I won't hunt without them. Don't know if the bow is too fast or my eyes are too slow but I was never able to see my arrow hit and therefore could never say to myself that it was a good, bad, or indifferent hit. Oh and those misses... it has never been easier to find my arrow. There has never been a noticeable difference in flight or accuracy. I am able to know exactly where I have hit the animal and then judge the time i should give it to expire. Bumping a wounded animal is a mistake that just sucks and makes it so much more difficult to retrieve in the end. Wont go to the woods without them. Have used the same knock to take many different animals. Easy to turn off with the tip of your knife and back in the quiver it goes.

I've hunted with them for almost 5 years now.. I love them, I have a few that have run out of batteries and so I interchange them as I practice, I do not need the lighted nock feature when I practice but they do make a difference POI if you are critical enough, especially out past 70 yards. The first time I shot and missed a buck in the last light of the day, my spotter was on a hill 6-800 yards a way and he said he could see the lighted nock through his binoculars.

I use the nocturnals for GT

I have a few that have run out of batteries and so I interchange them as I practice

On my first few archery kills, I was so excited and in the moment I never turned the lights off, and since the Nockturnal G Nock doesn't have a replaceable battery (a definite con, I believe others sizes use the same battery as lighted Thill slip bobbers), I now use those dead Nockturnals on my practice arrows leading up to the hunt.

Very cool your buddy could see the nock at 800, what color?

Absolutely love 'em when they hit the mark. Very discouraging when you see that beautiful beam of light sail right over or under my target's back😞 One of the best changes I've made since a rangefinder.

I have used several brands and only use nockturnal now.

I made the jump to lighted nocks about 5 years ago, also. Tracking your shot (hunting or practice) is worth the cost, no doubt about it. After tons of research, I went with Nockturnals, too. Other brands seemed to change the point of impact due to their weight and some of them were unreliable because of the magnet they had to pass by off the rest. All roads pointed to Nockturnals. I had great experiences with them and then they were bought out by Rage. I bought some for my daughter as she was getting ready to start archery hunting and hers were the "Rage" Nokturnals. I have some buddies back in Iowa that had the same experience with the performance. They would die after 2-12 shots. I returned them and got new ones, but more of the same happened. All roads pointed to them dropping in quality after Rage bought Nockturnal. A buddy back in Iowa suggested "Two Guys Bowshop" online out of Wisconsin (I think). They had the "Nockturnal" style, nocks, but you could get 6 for the same price as three Nockturnals. I bought 6 green ones for my daughter and they worked great! Flash forward three years and I forgot to turn one off after shooting my javelina in January. I went to get myself some TGB lighted nocks and they don't carry/make them anymore. I did some more research on the "Rage" issue and asked some questions and it seems that the quality issue has worked itself out, so I bought a new three pack of red Nockturnals for my Eastons. Absolutely no change in POI and, like Couespursuit, I use the dead one for a practice nock. Same with my daughter's dead ones. She uses them for practice.

I wish I'd have put one of her Nockturnals on all of her arrows last year when we were practicing. She flinched, skipped her arrow off a rock, and it landed over the fence in the grass of the ROW behind our house. A lighted nock would have made it easy for us to find her arrow. That was last October and I still can't find it, even after the snow melted and matted the grass down! ALWAYS shoot with lighted nocks and, like azpredator, I only use Nockturnals!

But remember, if you are going to Colorado, they are illegal (for whatever reason)!

• Like 1

Awesome info, I researched the same on Rage QC, and bought another 3 pack last year that haven't let me down.

But remember, if you are going to Colorado, they are illegal (for whatever reason)!

I can only imagine they lend to a higher recovery percentage and fewer wounded animals, I've seen some folks on a couple other sites I frequent come on and ask for support to allow them in CO and keep them legal in ID. Never saw anyone contend that support. Can anyone shed light on the unfair advantage?
  • Like 1

Awesome info, I researched the same on Rage QC, and bought another 3 pack last year that haven't let me down.

I can only imagine they lend to a higher recovery percentage and fewer wounded animals, I've seen some folks on a couple other sites I frequent come on and ask for support to allow them in CO and keep them legal in ID. Never saw anyone contend that support. Can anyone shed light on the unfair advantage?

I agree that it's a stupid rule for exactly why you support their use. The best explanation I've seen for the rule is that it falls under their "electronic aids" provision. Some of those make sense, but not this one!

I use the nockturnals also, but I really like the green color. The white ones are probably the easiest to see. It makes a huge difference to know the point of impact of your arrow. The worst feeling is shooting at an animal and not knowing if you hit it, or where your arrow went.

I think I read that Colorado was changing their regs so that they are now legal. Anybody verify that?

I've been shooting Firenocks for the last year or so and have been extremely pleased with their performance. They turn on as they leave the bowstring and stay on until I turn them off with a bounce on a hard surface. The top of my Rienhart target is enough. The entire circuit and nock can be removed from the shaft and the battery replaced. They come with a practice nock and weight strip that matches the weight of the circuit/battery (23gr). Installation involves gluing in a very small aluminum stopper inside the shaft that acts to absorb shock and protect the circuit and battery. There's a tool they include to get that at the right depth in the shaft.

The only downside is cost. They're $66 for a 3 pack so outfitting even half a dozen arrows can cost you as much as a whole dozen shafts. And there's the kick in the balls feeling when you inadvertently nail one during practice. I've got them in my ACCs and when I build a new dozen in the next couple months (micro diam. shafts this time) I'm going to put them in those too. Customer service from Dorge at Firenock has been outstanding too.

Lastly, one of the cool advantages to using lighted nocks is the fact that they help me tune my bow and select the right arrow components. Many cell phones have the ability to shoot video in slow motion and when filmed from behind the bow as the arrow is released, you can see pretty much exactly what the arrow is doing from the moment it leaves the string. Its rather fascinating. This will also show you what you're doing to the bow and help you diagnose form issues. Anyway, enough from me. I'm sold on them and will continue to spend the money.

• Like 1

Do you guys add weight to the front of your arrows to compensate for the front-of-center change?