forepaw

Gold Tip XT or Easton Axis?

Guys,

I have been trying to get a sense for preferences in carbon arrows. I have been using Gold Tip XTs for years, and they seem good and not too expensive, but have also heard good things about Easton Axis arrows. They are not cheap, but apparently are very straight and very tough. Also, they are smaller diameter which aids penetration.

Anyone have opinions one way or the other? Is there enough difference to make a major switch? Or would you likely only notice the difference if you were a world-class shooter (which I am not).

Thanks all.

forepaw

• Like 1

I shot the axis and Acc's for many years and really liked them, but since I make a lot of my own arrows, I've found the Gold Tips to be very adequate and easier to insert, fletch etc than the axis.

I would stay with GT's unless you just want to try new things.

I was having the same internal debate a couple of months ago between these two arrows. Got a lot of great opinions and was leaning toward Gold Tip, thanks largely for the same advise WHT_MTNMAN gave you and me both.

However, I am now leaning toward the Victory VAP after having the chance to look at and shoot a few. Among other things, they have the benefit of the smaller diameter without all the special insert nonsense.

http://victoryarchery.greenrope.com/victory-vap.html

I was having the same internal debate a couple of months ago between these two arrows. Got a lot of great opinions and was leaning toward Gold Tip, thanks largely for the same advise WHT_MTNMAN gave you and me both. However, I am now leaning toward the Victory VAP after having the chance to look at and shoot a few.

http://victoryarchery.greenrope.com/victory-vap.html

Making the switch to these myself this year...from Easton Axis. VAP is definitely worth a look.

Can't say enough about my experience and confidence in VAPs, but that wasn't what the OP was asking, so I'll rephrase and say definitely look into the small diameter Axis arrows.

I haven't looked specifically at the VAP and some one may correct me but for the most part Gold Tips are the only true Carbon arrows, others can have a slight amount of an amalgamation and can flex and bend and not remain straight.

Almost all other arrows I've looked at including carbon arrows by easton and carbon express etc... have other materials besides carbon.

gold tips are hard to beat. I bought a dozen vaps to try and the inserts always bend on them, I would rather buy gold tips any day of the week

GoldTip Pros 0.001 love them. 4 years now on original dozen. Still perfect and straight.

I've never had one break either. I try to avoid missing!

I just switched from the gold tip to black eagle carnivores. Feel good about the switch. Had the shop throw the gold tips together and put the black Eagles together myself. Im getting noticeably better groups with the black Eagles at a distance. It could be the prep job that that made the difference in accuracy but either way I won't be going back to the gold tips. Black eagle has some camo crested carnivores on clearance right now if you wanna save some money. They also have smaller diameter arrows that are supposed to be legit. If you're convinced you want one of the two you mentioned, I personally think the Eastons are better arrows.

• Like 1

Good discussion, thanks to all for feedback. I will start looking into VAPs and Black Eagle arrows, but at least won't feel too bad if I keep shooting Gold Tips for awhile.

forepaw

Depending on what broadhead you shoot, I've heard several failure reports of mechanicals with the Easton Axis splitting out the side of the arrow. Including from Mr Swhacker himself Rick who told me to not shoot Swhackers with them. Part of the reason I'm switching myself...plus an urge to try something new. LoL

• Like 1

I'm gonna suggest Easton Carbon Injexions. I've been playing with these and the FMJ Injexions over the last month and I'm very impressed with the CIs. I'll wind up building a dozen of each to shoot when my shoulder gets stronger but just from initial impressions, I'm more sold on these than the FMJs. The 330s are 10.2gr/inch and they seem to shoot more consistently, built identically, than the FMJ.

it was a tough call for me. i wished i could shoot all the arrows out there for a year just to see what i liked.

i wound up with the easton hexx.

7.9 gpi, and .001.

i just shot the first dozen this morning. they flew crazy good with field tips, as i was expecting.

there will be no shooting at the same spot with these arrows.

i know it's a little light for some guys, but i'm pulling 70 pounds, soooo.... wish me luck.

it was a tough call for me. i wished i could shoot all the arrows out there for a year just to see what i liked.

i wound up with the easton hexx.

7.9 gpi, and .001.

i just shot the first dozen this morning. they flew crazy good with field tips, as i was expecting.

there will be no shooting at the same spot with these arrows.

i know it's a little light for some guys, but i'm pulling 70 pounds, soooo.... wish me luck.

Good shafts. Those and the Da' Torch shafts seem to have the strictest tolerances among Easton, non-first born arrows. I like a little more mass in my total arrow but I'll bet those shoot great.