PhxDT

Taking Kids for First Popup Camping

I am taking my 4,7,8 year-olds camping for the first time. I have an old popup we'll be using and looking for a spot within 3-4 hours from the valley where we can get away from people, find cool weather, and near water (would be nice within walking distance).

I have a good 4xr4 with clearance and I flipped the axel on the popup, so we should be good to go.

Ideas? Thx, as always.

nope. Headed out 6/10

Big Lake area would be a great choice

• Like 3

Hoyer campground outside of Greer is a good spot also. It has shower facilities. Services and amenities close by. Plus 3 lakes, and the little Colorado river within a few minutes drive.

• Like 2

I would think Big Lake wouldn't be too crowded next weekend since most people that like to camp and fish are out right now.

If your contained in your pop up, generator and all. There's no reason for a camp ground on a lake. Look at rivers. Won't say which ones but rivers. Have fun, I've been looking at pop ups recently and get more and more excited to take one to all the places I've only been with a bedroll and a lighter.

• Like 1

I was going to say if you are headed out now stay away from Alpine. We thought we would run over yesterday to have breakfast at the Bear Wallow Cafe, we were in Reserve, nothing but people over there. We would have stopped by the firefighter pancake breakfast but I forgot AZ is not on daylights savings time so I thought it was after 10 when they quit serving so we just kept on driving.

• Like 1

Thanks All. I'll let you know where we end up. As a practical matter, I prefer streams/rivers so that my kids get used to that type of fishing (my favorite).

East Fork Black River. A bit longer of a drive but it's pretty, right on the river, and it's possible you may have a campground to yourself.

• Like 3

East Fork Black River. A bit longer of a drive but it's pretty, right on the river, and it's possible you may have a campground to yourself.

Yes, thanks. Went fishing there a few years ago. Incredible county.

Camp on the Young road and fish willow springs. Easier for the kids to fish than a creek. However there are several creeks around Canyon creek, Christopher creek ect. Make it fun for the kids, on a kids trip I don't usually plan on fishing as you are mostly untangling rods and trying to make it fun for them.

• Like 3

black river or lees ferry. anyplace that is up north out of the heat.

• Like 1

Camp on the Young road and fish willow springs. Easier for the kids to fish than a creek. However there are several creeks around Canyon creek, Christopher creek ect. Make it fun for the kids, on a kids trip I don't usually plan on fishing as you are mostly untangling rods and trying to make it fun for them.

+1