Snapshot

SCI Banquet protests

Has anyone noticed how increasingly stupid people have become? Especially over the last 8 years?

Did anyone attending the SCI banquet see the protest crowd?

Animal advocates protest against trophy hunting

Jennifer Delacruz
10:18 PM, Jun 18, 2016
Animal_advocates_protest_trophy_hunting_
Local animal activists spoke out Saturday against trophy hunting around the world. A protest took place outside Lowes Ventana Canyon where Safari Club International was holding a fundraiser.
SCI is headquartered here in Tucson and works to protect the rights of wildlife hunters. In less than one week, local animal rights group SPEAK gathered more than 1,000 signatures on Change.org. They started the petition to prevent Lowes Ventana Canyon from hosting an annual fundraiser for SCI. Despite SPEAK's efforts, the fundraiser still took place.
"We think it's time that people take a stand against trophy hunting," said SPEAK spokesperson Gary Vella.
About a dozen wildlife activists rallied outside the foothills resort in opposition of the Safari Club. On their website, SCI states they promote hunters rights and wildlife conservation.
Local animal advocates disagree.
"The idea that protecting them requires us to manipulate them, exploit them, abuse them or kill them just doesn't make any sense," said Brendan DeSmet.
They said the goal behind Saturday's rally was to get people talking.
"If nothing else, it's time that the rest of the community and the public at large start raising their heads up and say, 'You know something? These species are disappearing ten and twenty animals at a time and you people need to put your guns away and get out of the way,"' said Vella.
The protest comes about one year after outrage sparked when Cecil the lion was killed by an American dentist in Zimbabwe.
"It seems like the attention has died down somewhat," said DeSmet. "But the poachers, the hunters, the big game killers are still out there and it's important for everybody in their locale to speak up about their local wildlife and about the dwindling population all around the world."

Yeah I saw them but security kept them clear down on Craycroft, nearly 1/2 mile away.

While they protested us out in the 110F heat, we protested them from the cool, cozy banquet room complete with filet mignon, cold beer and videos of Tim Wells doing some extreme hunting.

Yup, I picked the right protest group to be in. Thanks Amanda, had a great time again this year.

• Like 12

+1 on Amanda's commitment and dedication to provide a free evening of socializing with other CWT members at this years SCI banquet to active military and veterans .

This was my first time at SCI banquet - they did a great job - they had a handle on the few so called "protestors"

though no one came away with any prizes, - but we were all winners .!

THANK YOU AMANDA

I do have new bumper stickers for my truck!

• Like 4

I was disappointed I never saw them. Got there at 4 and in our room at midnight. I kinda wanted to answer a few protest questions if asked. Tim wells was awesome! Except his hatred for fat guys! Haha.

I was disappointed I never saw them. Got there at 4 and in our room at midnight. I kinda wanted to answer a few protest questions if asked. Tim wells was awesome! Except his hatred for fat guys! Haha.

post-11051-0-25365900-1466393738.jpg
  • Like 3

No mercy for the protesters ha? 110 degrees and not one fire hose came out lol

Kinda of tired of everyone having a cause and wanting to protest everything. if it's not illegal shut up and go away

• Like 1

All the jacked up stuff going on in this country and this is the "cause" these chuckleheads want to get behind???

Protesting the very people who want these animals to stick around for the long haul. I'd guess most people in attendance have contributed more to big-game conservation than the lot of those sign holders.

I never saw them or even knew about them until Dan Adler mentioned something about them while he was MC'ing the event.

I had a great evening. Thanks to our military that came to the event and sat at the CWT table :)

• Like 3

Kinda of tired of everyone having a cause and wanting to protest everything. if it's not illegal shut up and go away

this is what happens when a community organizer is elected president of the united states.

• Like 1

All them knuckleheads probably went and talked strategy for next year over their beef burgers and fries. With no clue where the meat came from- Go figure.

Nothing like fresh backstrap and tenderloins !

All I know is that the food was good, the commentators (if that's the proper term for it?) were good, and the raffles and auctions were good! I didn't win squat, as low as the live auction prices were I wish I'd signed up to bid. Dinner was tiny but so good I was full! Fat guy talking! Had the protesters actually been at the banquet they would of seen the money raised and they would of seen we weren't sacrificing a lion or an elephant during the chant hahahahaha! Only if folks could listen to both sides before forming an opinion.

Had the protesters actually been at the banquet they would of seen the money raised and they would of seen we weren't sacrificing a lion or an elephant during the chant

if i was in charge, thats what would be happening. live stream across the country.

inb4 this post of mine ends up on a PETA page.