TOBY

Spare tires

I have a 2013 hundai elantra. After driving 25k miles with I have come to find out that they do not come with a spare. I was lucky enough to find out before being stranded with my "patch kit" that comes with them. Slime and a rinky dink compressor. So I know chevy is also skimping out as well as probably all the other companies. Thought I would put this out there since most people just plan on a donut being there when they need it.Check your cars if you have newer ones and never heard about this. And they are proud as heck if you buy the factory kit with jack and wrench. Very disappointed to say the least. Check your trunks guys. Dont want your wife and kids waiting for a tow truck in this heat.

• Like 7

Yep, it's all about the bottom line with the millions of vehicles the major auto companies sell each year. Good on you for the shout out ...

Chevrolet has been taking a beating on millions of recalls caused by inferior parts, caused by trying to save money, caused by a company that was bailed out with taxpayer money.

It's the trickle down syndrome.

Manufacturers don't pay for the recalled parts directly, the company that made the part takes the brunt of it. In cases such as takata the auto manufacuter doesn't look bad but the airbag company does. Where the car companies lose money is future sales and re-sale value. No more spare tires came about mostly because the majority doesn't change tires or know how. Also on some new cars there just isn't room, also emessions require companies to save weight wherever they can. CAFE standards suck these days. Saving money from lack of a spare might be their concern but not top

• Like 1

And TOBY, good PSA man, most people never even skim their owners manual or inspect anything on their vehicle until something goes wrong. They just assume and we all know what assuming does.

Chevy's don't need tires. They won't go to far anyway....................BOB!

• Like 3

I grew up with parents that wouldn't let my brother and I learn to drive unless we could change a tire and change our oil. I wouldn't think to check the spare unless I was buying used.

• Like 1

That's nuts! I thought it was a bad idea when they came out with the little donut tires. No matter how careful of a driver you are or how much you pay attention to tread wear tires can just go flat so not having a spare, especially out here just shouldn't be an option.

Too many what if's. Self sealing tires are making a comeback ( for about the 3rd or 4th time) and might give some peace of mind. I sold and installed a bunch of them back in 1971, mostly to seniors.

Half the population probably can't change a tire anyway...so they're not missing the spare. Meanwhile I have 2 spares. LoL

• Like 1

Half the population probably can't change a tire anyway...so they're not missing the spare. Meanwhile I have 2 spares. LoL

Half? I think you're being pretty generous there.

• Like 3

Manufacturers don't pay for the recalled parts directly, the company that made the part takes the brunt of it. In cases such as takata the auto manufacuter doesn't look bad but the airbag company does. Where the car companies lose money is future sales and re-sale value. No more spare tires came about mostly because the majority doesn't change tires or know how. Also on some new cars there just isn't room, also emessions require companies to save weight wherever they can. CAFE standards suck these days. Saving money from lack of a spare might be their concern but not top

That may be true if there is a flaw in the manufacturing process, but if the part is manufactured to the specs of the engineers, and it fails, who is on the hook?

Most all outsourced parts are designed to the specs of the factory engineers. But if it's a pure design flaw and it's not caught in testing before a car hits the market (most are caught) then it gets redesigned and tested at both their expense.

bought the 2014 Elantra for my daughter whenshe was going away to college. saw the no spare thing right away. bought a real spare tire for it. Also taught her how to change out flat tires. She was a competitive swimmer, still stays in shape so she has the upper body/arm strength to break lug nuts free. If she didn't, would have bought her a cordless impact to help. Crazy the corners the car manufacturers are cutting to save a dime.

If the salesman would of told me I would have just done it then. Way cheaper. All for gas mileage and the almighty dollar saved. Pitiful.

I saw a car on the free way the other day with 3 of the 4 tires being a "donut" spare. He was haulin' a$$ too.

Probably didn't have the money for real tires because of the cigarette that was hangin from his lips and the full sleeve tat on his left arm, which was hanging out the window, most likely because the AC didn't work in the car.

At least there were no Feel The Bern stickers on the bumper....probably because he had no bumper. probably sold it to buy cigs and tats.

• Like 2