jp0212

Best way to meet hunting bros

Guest oneshot

I have a group of guys and women that I hunt with in NY, stand/deer drives, rabbit/turkey/ducks etc, we have hunted together, on the same land for about 45years...

Hunting solo is what I'd rather spend my time doing, only have to satisfy my own expectations...

But daym, if ya got extra beers in Camp, I've been known to bring resups, laughter and luck to friendly Camps...

I like Knothead and BBrowns posts. Other things that I have personally experienced which makes it difficult to find a good partner is family obligations that get in the way, financial differences, dedication to the sport, type of weapon, points, etc...Most of mine developed from high school friendships or random conversations that led to hunting (my favorite topic). I met one of my closest friends at one of those "get rich quick" classes and I happened to be wearing a camo accented shirt which sparked the conversation.

I've got a buddy that has no family and hires a guide for nearly every hunt - we talk hunting, but don't hunt together much. Another cannot do out of state hunts due to finances.

Another buddy loves to talk hunting, but when hunting season comes around, he's nowhere to be found.

Another buddy is 10 years ahead of me on nearly every state for points. Unfortunately, he's not willing to let me piggyback and hunt a "good" hunt. He's waiting for the "best" hunt and will do it alone when he draws the tag.

Another one doesn't hunt anything but javelina now due to family obligations and I'm sure he's scared of his wife.

One buddy will only hunt archery and won't hunt OTC tags. I love the rifle coues hunts in October. Tons of deer and great time with friends at camp.

I hunted last year with a guy that is located in Vegas that works for the same company. I took him on his first coues hunt last year and he tagged out. It was a great hunt that developed our friendship even more. He put in for unit 22 nov archery bull and drew the tag. He and I are similar in our dedication to scouting so I don't mind taking a week's PTO to join him on his hunt after multiple weekends scouting and setting up cams. Just like with all the other buddies I've hunted with in the past, I'm sure he'll eventually change enough for me not to hunt with him any longer. Seems I only get a couple good years out of the hunting friends I've had in the past.

Except for the dog, I agree with oneshot as well. I love hunting by myself as it's all on me. I only have myself to blame for any of my expectations not met. Don't have to hear any excuses either...

Trying to meet a backpack style hunter is a tough deal. Most go to the wilderness because of the solitude and the secret info about the areas. I only backpack hunt with one other buddy. Other hunts are with a small group or with family. Good luck cause like others have said a good hunting partner is a tougher find than a wife.

• Like 1

Trying to meet a backpack style hunter is a tough deal. Most go to the wilderness because of the solitude and the secret info about the areas. I only backpack hunt with one other buddy. Other hunts are with a small group or with family. Good luck cause like others have said a good hunting partner is a tougher find than a wife.

Agreed. Part of the reason I have struggled to find a good hunting buddy is because of my desire to go deep into the Wilderness Areas. Hard to find someone willing to hike 5-10 miles each way just to get into the area to start hunting. I actually thought it would be easier with the onset of Cam Hanes and the Train to Hunt philosophy, but no luck yet. I have found some people willing to hunt with me, but as soon as I mention the hike they get a little busy.

Agreed. Part of the reason I have struggled to find a good hunting buddy is because of my desire to go deep into the Wilderness Areas. Hard to find someone willing to hike 5-10 miles each way just to get into the area to start hunting. I actually thought it would be easier with the onset of Cam Hanes and the Train to Hunt philosophy, but no luck yet. I have found some people willing to hunt with me, but as soon as I mention the hike they get a little busy.

That will always be a lonely way to hunt. Generally speaking, people are not really know for being well disciplined or motivated. I love backpacking and do at least a couple 2 nighters every winter, but seldom do long trips anymore. Too busy chasing dollars and raising babies.

That will always be a lonely way to hunt. Generally speaking, people are not really know for being well disciplined or motivated. I love backpacking and do at least a couple 2 nighters every winter, but seldom do long trips anymore. Too busy chasing dollars and raising babies.

I hear you. With the wife, a baby, my niece and nephew that I adopted and my 60 hour a week job it can be tough to get out. That being said I have been blessed with a supportive wife, who herself loves to hunt. She has never once given me a hard time about going out, and even encourages it since she knows how freeing it can be. Can't wait for the kiddos to all be old enough so she can start going with me again.

That makes all the difference in the world. My wife never givs me any grief over it either, Ive just had other investments for my vacation time the last couple years. Spent a week hunting with my buddy in Nebraska last fall, and this year we're heading back there for his wedding and then have an october otc elk hunt planned for colorado with another good friend/customer. Life happens! Dont blink.

• Like 1

I'd hunt with you but I'm 225lbs and 48 I don't meet your criteria, so I guess I'll keep my spot to my self or share them with WILLK and BIGGYBROWNS!!! Good look

• Like 1

With the exception of bird hunting with my brother, my big game hunts are solo.

My hunting buddies all live out of town and our busy schedules can never match up. I don't mind solo hunting. What I can't stand is a solo camp. Yeah, it's ok for a day or two, but after 5 or 6 days, coming back to a lonely camp gets old. I miss the elk camp camaraderie from my youth. The same stories told over and over again from the old timers. Those were my most memorable elk/deer camps!

Anyways. Kinda drifted off a little.....

Good luck.

• Like 1

that doesnt sound fun, that might be why. maybe you should get a horse, youd probably find a lot more people to ride with to go those distances.

All about perspective amigo. We did a hunt last year, didn't start hunting till we were 7 miles in and a bunch of elevation gain. We had an awesome time and I didn't even have a tag. Gonna go much further this year and I won't have a tag again. Its enjoyable to get your butt kicked a little to hunt country few see.

Funny thing is that the deer don't get bigger the further you go. In fact we see way bigger deer in areas that you can hunt from roads. We think it's because there is more water near roads and lion hunters hunt those areas as well. But I wouldn't miss packin way back in to hunt where we see no one, don't hear a quad, you can pass a buck and not assume he is dead by the next guy that sees him, don't have to worry about someone hunting "my" spots, and you can start glassing from your camp cause you are already in there! But to each their own!

• Like 2

Dad was always my hunting partner from 1972 to 2005. I was peeved at the family for something in the mid '80's and I went deer hunting without him, only to run into him in the forest that season, never forget the hurt on his face when we met.

I'm no road hunter but the last couple years we hunted he could only glass from out the truck window. His hunting days are over now but he still likes to hear my stories and look at pictures, specially whenever I use the horses.

Get in as many hunts with friends and family that you can.

Now if I could get M Quigley or MULEPACKHUNTER to get out and use the tags we draw....

• Like 3

that doesnt sound fun, that might be why. maybe you should get a horse, youd probably find a lot more people to ride with to go those distances.

All about perspective amigo. We did a hunt last year, didn't start hunting till we were 7 miles in and a bunch of elevation gain. We had an awesome time and I didn't even have a tag. Gonna go much further this year and I won't have a tag again. Its enjoyable to get your butt kicked a little to hunt country few see.

Funny thing is that the deer don't get bigger the further you go. In fact we see way bigger deer in areas that you can hunt from roads. We think it's because there is more water near roads and lion hunters hunt those areas as well. But I wouldn't miss packin way back in to hunt where we see no one, don't hear a quad, you can pass a buck and not assume he is dead by the next guy that sees him, don't have to worry about someone hunting "my" spots, and you can start glassing from your camp cause you are already in there! But to each their own!

I've noticed the same thing. The thing that most people don't realize about wilderness areas is that the way a chunk of land gets to be designated as wilderness is by basically being so vertical/rugged/unsuitable for development that it's really not good for much else. This type of land is often not suitable for huge populations of game animals. At least that's the story with the wilderness areas I'm most familiar with here in Az.

Now, the really cool part about wilderness areas is that there's always pockets of good terrain that hold animals, and if you can find those, then you've got yourself a group of critters many of whom have never seen a person. I love uneducated deer!

• Like 2

I share the sentiments of enjoying the hunt alone but having a mutual camp to meet up at the end of the day.

My hunts are always made better or worse by the people accompanying me in the backcountry!

• Like 1

Have kids. Take them out at an early age and teach them. Then, when they turn 10, they make the best hunting partners imaginable. Carbon copies of the way you teach them.

• Like 5