Sign in to follow this  
azruger

August bears

It pisses me off its closed till the 31st, i was up there last weekend and everything is completely fine to drive on, i have no idea why its closed.

I've spent the last 2 weekends looking for Bears and food. I've only seen 1 Bear and I still have no idea what they are eating. The pears are definately not ready. The acorns are ripe in some area's, but green in most. The juniper has some fruit, but not as much as needed. The Manzanita doesn't have any new berries. At this point I have no idea what the bears primary food is going to be this year. Seems like it will be one of those in between years.

• Like 2

I've spent the last 2 weekends looking for Bears and food. I've only seen 1 Bear and I still have no idea what they are eating. The pears are definately not ready. The acorns are ripe in some area's, but green in most. The juniper has some fruit, but not as much as needed. The Manzanita doesn't have any new berries. At this point I have no idea what the bears primary food is going to be this year. Seems like it will be one of those in between years.

Pretty much saw the same thing...i think the pears will be ripe in a few weeks.

Just came from scouting an area for deer and saw a little bit of scat (few different piles here and there) and they were packed full of berries of the Manzanita. Looked like they couldn't have been more than a week old.

All the bear sign I've seen in the last week has been in the manzanitas. That should change in a few weeks, there's a lot of prickly pear nearby with a few just starting to turn red.

• Like 1

All the bear sign I've seen in the last week has been in the manzanitas. That should change in a few weeks, there's a lot of prickly pear nearby with a few just starting to turn red.

Yup what Allen said! #1 :D ...i too was out there and there is a lot of fruit but they have not ripened yet!..they still like Allen said up in the Manzanutas!! and eating Acorns!..every bush and tree had Acorns good crop this year! :rolleyes:

How long will a bear stay around a water hole? I'm guessing he wont stay around long enough for season to open on the 19th. I found his track on Sunday.

its hard to say how long they will stay in one spot!...one thing about them they can travel and long distance if spooked!.. as long as there is food and water there is a good chance they might hang around!...but sometimes for whatever reason they just up and move on maybe because there taste buds change or another bigger bear in the area moves them out while passing through...but my best scouting is two days before the hunt!..hope that helps!!..happy hunting!...hope you knock one down!

Thanks- That's what I was thinking too. We'll see what happens.

I've heard of two killed. I went out Friday and 1/2 day today and saw nothing.