So this year my dad and I decided to pick up some left overs and ended up getting our third choice 36a hunt. I'm not asking for any help or places to go but just want to get an idea if this hunt sucks terribly or if there is a chance we may see a decent buck here and there. Obviously it's not too great because there were leftovers but just trying to prepare myself if it's gonna be a big waste of time. Anyone that's been there or hunted it let me know. My nephew and niece ended up getting it as well but the later November hunt.

Like any southern unit there are big bucks but they can be hard to find. If you get away from the roads and people you can have opportunities and 90 plus bucks

• Like 1

Very much unlike other southern units...very few areas to get away from roads or hunters...lots of deer, very few mature deer..

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Better bucks can be found in the flats but man are they hard to locate and hunt.

You will see deer. The reason why all these southern units have left overs are from the ideas that they have border patrol problems. I've never had a problems but border patrol is present.

Lots of deer in 36A. As others have mentioned its the age class....

There is country you can hunt that hold coues that you can get away from the roads/folks, but it takes effort as well as creativity....

Generally speaking any elevation above 3,000 -, 3,200 in that unit will hold coues. This is likely true for about any southern unit but in some units it is much lower...

There is country you can hunt that hold coues that you can get away from the roads/folks, but it takes effort as well as creativity..

Lol yes I have an area in mind this year that I'm going to have to get creative to get get to.

• Like 1

That's what I'd consider decent on a leftover tag. A regular coues hunt in a unit I know and better time of year decent would be 100"+ but on a leftover tag I'm not expecting much.

I had this tag last year for the first time, and we made the best of it. We went 3 for 3 on the first weekend but finding 70"+ deer was a challenge. Lots of deer, lots of people. With that said, I picked up the same tag this year and am planning on giving it heck again this year.

• Like 1

My boss pulled this tag as his 3rd choice leftover. He's never hunted except for doves last year. Seems like I've got my work cut out for me. Time to earn a raise!

Like most have said, you can find deer, but you have to put in the miles. Don't expect anything huge but some mature deer do exist here.

By "put in the miles" I am referring to miles hiking, not on an ATV or truck.