Sign in to follow this  
40-year-AZ-hunter

11M Elk a Nuisance

If any of you guys have 11M elk tags, maybe are new to the area and are looking for a place to scout, send me a PM. I live in 11M and there is a herd of 12-15 cows, calves, and little bulls running between the Forest Service land and the property in my neighborhood. There are other smaller herds in the vicinity also. They have have been in this area for years and are a nuisance we have to fence out of our flower garden.. A few years ago a guy killed a trophy bull, but mostly they are just drill elk. A couple years ago my next door neighbor's teenager had his first elk permit in 11M. They hunted in the Forest and didn't get a good shot. On about the last day, the kid looked out his window about 6AM and there was a herd moving thru the property. He arrowed a calf in his backyard, then had to call for help processing the critter as his family was new to hunting. Funny beginners luck ;)

• Like 3

If the cows are there, there will be some good Bulls in there. How does that work with bowhunting near buildings? Is the 440 yard rule still in effect with a bow?

If the cows are there, there will be some good Bulls in there. How does that work with bowhunting near buildings? Is the 440 yard rule still in effect with a bow?

Elk note #34 in the elk regs

"34. The elk hunting season in Unit 11M is closed within ¼ mile of an occupied residence or building within the Flagstaff corporate limits."

• Like 1

Sent you an email Bruce!

TTYL,

Jim

Elk note #34 in the elk regs

"34. The elk hunting season in Unit 11M is closed within ¼ mile of an occupied residence or building within the Flagstaff corporate limits."

100% illegal... I know those that have been ticketed. Same situation woke up saw elk in the yard, shot, killed, and then the neighbor woke up none to pleased. Called G and F. Came out ticketed and seized. This is a law statewide. Has nothing to do with city limits. This was just out Highway 180

Looks like the herd that travels across the 89A from 6B into the Forest Highlands golf course?

"100% illegal... I know those that have been ticketed. Same situation woke up saw elk in the yard, shot, killed, and then the neighbor woke up none to pleased. Called G and F. Came out ticketed and seized. This is a law statewide. Has nothing to do with city limits. This was just out Highway 180"

That is not my understanding. Nor is it the understanding of the people at the Flagstaff G&F office. I called Flagstaff G&F office today for clarification and they said the restriction only applied inside the city limits, not in the County where I live. The applicable Rule is cited above It makes no sense for G&F to print in the Regs a mention specifically to city limits (footnote 34) if the rule is in effect for all areas..

If you know it to be "law statewide" it would be very helpful if you would cite the statute. The complete Arizona Revised Statutes can be found here http://www.azleg.state.az.us/arizonarevisedstatutes.asp. The statute will be on the ticket your source received.

I will gladly stand corrected when the applicable statute is cited.

"100% illegal... I know those that have been ticketed. Same situation woke up saw elk in the yard, shot, killed, and then the neighbor woke up none to pleased. Called G and F. Came out ticketed and seized. This is a law statewide. Has nothing to do with city limits. This was just out Highway 180"

That is not my understanding. Nor is it the understanding of the people at the Flagstaff G&F office. I called Flagstaff G&F office today for clarification and they said the restriction only applied inside the city limits, not in the County where I live. The applicable Rule is cited above It makes no sense for G&F to print in the Regs a mention specifically to city limits (footnote 34) if the rule is in effect for all areas..

If you know it to be "law statewide" it would be very helpful if you would cite the statute. The complete Arizona Revised Statutes can be found here http://www.azleg.state.az.us/arizonarevisedstatutes.asp. The statute will be on the ticket your source received.

I will gladly stand corrected when the applicable statute is cited.

Did your homework for you. Thought it was common knowledge that you can not discharge a firearm (and bows are considered such) within a quarter mile (440 yards) of an occupied or potentially occupied building.

The occurrence I referred to was in Baderville (county). I do not have a copy of his ticket.

The evidence your looking for can be found on the link you attached.... Article 1, 17-309, #4

But by all means if someone feels differently go hunting...

When did bows become considered firearms?

Perhaps I should have chosen my wording more carefully... As I understand it you are not allowed to hunt within a quarter mile of a structure regardless of your weapon type. G and F had no problem writing the ticket and seizing the guys elk ( this goes back many years now). I dont believe that they have loosened this restriction. I am sure you will get different answers from G and F if you ask more than one. This is my understanding.

I believe there is even an old thread on here about this exact question