ricodabears

26 nosler

So some of you are saying that retained and imparted energy isn't critical for a kill? Am I understanding that right? How about for an ethical/humane kill??

Is the "hole" more important, or the "wound channel"? Just curious.

• Like 3

I don't know why people exclude energy. Why not have both! As sjvcon said, and lets say a bullet is a 30 cal. Accubond 180 grain shooting out of a 308 and take the exact same bullet and put it into a 300 RUM. Same bullet, same perfomace, but one is going so much faster. Lets say that Nosler has a guaranteed that the 30 cal Accubond will expand to 1/2" when impact occurs. Wouldn't the bullet with more speed cause more damage because of energy? AKA speed= energy. I mean this makes a lot of since to me unless this is totally wrong??? There is a reason why an apple only cracks open with a 22 and explodes with 22-250

• Like 3

I'm slow. Is GOAT an acronym, a car or something that flew by me completely?

Edit

Sorry for breaking my word on "last post"

So I have gotten to thinking about this, and the talk about energy not meaning anything doesn't make any sense.

Yes ... shot placement is, generally speaking, the most important thing. Bullet construction and characteristics are also extremely critical ... but why? Because these have a direct effect on the energy that the bullet can impart on the target ... especially at range.

To those that think energy isn't important I have this question for you. You are a cop. You have a choice between a 9mm (which is widely known to have great penetration) or a .40 S&W to carry. Which do you choose? I'm willing to bet that better than 9 out of 10 cops (who know their stuff when it comes to sidearms), and you if you are smart, will pick the .40. The reason is simple. It has more knockdown power and creates more damage due to the energy conveyed to the target. Yeah ... someone is going to say that Special Forces carries 9's. I know. They have a different aim in mind.

Another quick example as I write this and think about it. You are in Alaska in an area known to have large Coastal Browns. You can have a 7mm Mag or a .458 Lott. Anyone really going to bet their life on the 7?

They all have their importance ... yes ... even energy.

I carry a 9mm on purpose, apparently I am not smart.

Velocity, energy, and shot placement all count. If you don't have all 3 you are not in good shape.

To those that think energy isn't important I have this question for you. You are a cop. You have a choice between a 9mm (which is widely known to have great penetration) or a .40 S&W to carry. Which do you choose? I'm willing to bet that better than 9 out of 10 cops (who know their stuff when it comes to sidearms), and you if you are smart, will pick the .40. The reason is simple. It has more knockdown power and creates more damage due to the energy conveyed to the target. Yeah ... someone is going to say that Special Forces carries 9's. I know. They have a different aim in mind.

The trend for officers is 9mm and most departments are going to 9 nationwide. The FBI is going back now as well. The new bullets are earning their keep. Given the choice I would gladly carry a Glock 34 on patrol. Remember in law enforcement shot on target is number 1 priority for the officer and department since misses cost millions.

We all know a 40 is a neutered 10mm. Which was developed because the FBI wanted a 10 without the recoil so everyone could shoot well enough to qualify. So cops in the know according to you should carry a 10mm for that touch more energy.

Last I checked Special Forces mission purpose is to kill things and break stuff with extreme efficiency. Not sure what other aim they have...

I shoot a 9mm in competition easier to stay on target, carry a 45 acp big slow and hits like a sledgehammer. When I,m out in the wilderness 45 acp is my choice for protection because more round capacity. If hunting with a pistol I choose a .357 maximum (larger than magnum) ballistic is almost same as 44 magnum but round count is low.

Different strokes for different folks does not mean wrong or right.

I get crap from my hunting camp partners because I use a .338 lapua but they are shooting 300 win mag and 308 win I've never been a fan of 30 cal rounds. But 30 cal is the choice of most people and the reason their is so much support for 308 caliber.

The trend for officers is 9mm and most departments are going to 9 nationwide. The FBI is going back now as well. The new bullets are earning their keep. Given the choice I would gladly carry a Glock 34 on patrol. Remember in law enforcement shot on target is number 1 priority for the officer and department since misses cost millions.

We all know a 40 is a neutered 10mm. Which was developed because the FBI wanted a 10 without the recoil so everyone could shoot well enough to qualify. So cops in the know according to you should carry a 10mm for that touch more energy.

Last I checked Special Forces mission purpose is to kill things and break stuff with extreme efficiency. Not sure what other aim they have...

Well I'll be damned. I stand corrected. 9mm ARE now finding renewed favor. I haven't been H2H training with LEO's in the last couple of years, so I did not know this. Articles I read said that changes to the bullet construction have improved the damage that the 9mm is capable of, and this is the reason (along with ease of shooting) that it is finding renewed interest. It lost favor at the time it did because LEO's were having issues putting perps down (lots of holes in guys who were still moving well). Hence the 10mm ... and the reduction (neuter) to .40 was because the 10 proved too much for a lot of people to shoot/control (or so I have heard). Even neutered it provided more energy and put down power ... which was the point in the statement. No offence meant to the 9mm crowd ... heck I own one. Whatever you shoot best is what is good for you.

I like a 10mm ... I have no issues shooting it. But it is definitely not for everyone. Neither is a .40. I like the .45ACP (just a preference) in a carry, and a .44Mag when I am in dangerous animal areas (again ... preference).