Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Ground squirrels, good eats?

I just trapped a whole family of them and reloceted them for a customer. Wondering if they are any different compared to tree squirrels as far as table fare goes. There was a couple juicy lookin ones. Was thinking about some crockpot stew.

They eat about the same as tree squirrels from what i've been told

I just trapped a whole family of them and reloceted them for a customer. Wondering if they are any different compared to tree squirrels as far as table fare goes. There was a couple juicy lookin ones. Was thinking about some crockpot stew.

they are tasty you really should try some.

Meh.. I'll try anything at least once :D

Kinda surprised nobody's tried it. I've never had squirrel so Im not sure I even wanna try but i did try lamb brains once. Seasoning was OK but once you chewed into it, it was a seasoned pile of mush. Pretty gross.

I'll try anything once too but would rather have a positive opinion before destroying a poor family of innocent squirrels just to see if "i like it".

Yes I'm kind of a softie.

I've ate hundreds of tree squirrels. Good stuff. Never have ate the ground squirrels though.

Are you talking about the rodents that run across rural roads in lower elevations? They're everywhere in pinal county. No way I would eat that crap. Killed hundreds with rat traps and peanut butter. Every time I clear the trap, I'm afraid I going to contract hantavirus

Are you talking about the rodents that run across rural roads in lower elevations? They're everywhere in pinal county. No way I would eat that crap. Killed hundreds with rat traps and peanut butter. Every time I clear the trap, I'm afraid I going to contract hantavirus

It might be. I also caught mine with peanut butter (the crunchy kind seems choice). Not sure me and you are lookin at the same rodents though. Rats, mice and gophers also run across rural roads. Are there upsides to hantavirus? Is it similar to quick weightloss plans like montezumas revenge?

• Like 1

You can put just any kind of beast in a crock pot with some beef broth, onions, chiles, garlic etc and have it come out edible.

• Like 2