Hike4coues

Lucky Me 36C

I am more than stoked!!! I finally have a Dec. late hunt tag in my hands! I have dreamed of this! The only problem is, I have never set foot in the unit. Actually have never even been in that part of Arizona. It's not that far away for me either (Tucson). So I hav been staring at maps and have several areas I wonder about. I want to backpack in and then set up a bivi camp. The elkhorn ranch area looks interesting, but the best I can glean is that it gets hit hard? I wonder if anybody could get me started in the right direction? I hope to do a scouting trip in a couple of weeks. PM's etc are welcomed! Boy there's a lot of country out there!!!!

Great tag!

My $.02 is that if you are planning on doing a bivi camp, I would not worry too much whether the Elkhorn gets hit hard or not (which is does.... ;) ). No matter where you go, once you get in a couple of miles you will leave the VAST majority of the other hunters behind. Those mountains are STEEP!!! :blink:

Enjoy!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Drive to the base of the mountains and glass all day long!!!!!!

The 2 biggest coues bucks I ever seen were in that unit. That should get You excited. If You can;t find any closer to the hunt PM. Me. I tell ya some spots................Good Luck............BOB!

• Like 3

I wouldn't bivy near the res. The bad guys work all those ridgetops. I am a backpacking dude but I'd think twice.

• Like 3

You shouldn't worry too much about the crowds since you are hunting in December. Isn't their a very limited number of tags? Best of luck!

Yes, that makes me very excited!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!! Would you mind sharing what type of topography and vegetation you found them in?

The 2 biggest coues bucks I ever seen were in that unit. That should get You excited. If You can;t find any closer to the hunt PM. Me. I tell ya some spots................Good Luck............BOB!

Does anybody have any bad experiences to share with cartel run-ins etc...? Yes, it does worry me. Scare me to the point of not hunting, no. I would be glad to hear of what to avoid and what to look out for while in the field! My Bivy setup is very low visibility, and yet I know anyone really looking with optics can pick things up. I wonder if I am out of the way and not really a threat if I would be bothered... Just thinking out loud.

I personally don't worry too much about the drug runners. Have hunted down there plenty of times, including bivey hunting a couple of times in those mountains and have never even come close to having a 'run in'. Have I seen some illegals and possibly drug runners? Sure. But never a run-in or confrontation. 1000's of hunters every year hunt in the Southern units, and it seems that actual confrontations resulting in anything dangerous are extraordinarily rare. I think you are generally correct to assume that if you are not a threat, that you will not be bothered.

Sounds like you are already thinking prudently and planning well. You should have a GREAT hunt!

S.

:)

36C is a great unit. I don't think you will have a lot of problems with the cartel during that time of year. I have noticed when the temps cool down they seem to disappear as well.

However that being said, I wouldn't be hunting alone just in case and carry a side arm as well. There are still many of them out there however not as bad as 36B.

Elkhorn Ranch is a great spot however it does get a little crowded not only with hunters but with hikers as well. I hunted their last year and found myself glassing people with their dogs running around on the trails. However I did see some good bucks so don't count it out. Another place to hunt would be mile marker 2. The bucks are not that big so if you are going to trophy hunt I would not suggest going there (IMO). I hope this helps. If you want to PM me I can give you other spots as well.

Good Luck with your hunt.

Remember its better to be safe... (Bring a friend)

• Like 1

I'd hunt the southern part of that unit myself. This coming from the ups driver that delivers those ranches. Elkhorn had an outfitter in there last year and they took around 12+ bucks out but there's still a few around.