Well, today it was pretty slow out at work so I decided to go on a little deer scout while I was out there. I found a road that is closed to the general public, but, has one of our( Border Patrol) locks on it. I took it in and it winded its way into the southern portions of the Baboquivaris. It went in about four miles and dead ended at a tank that had some water still in it. I got out out to scout around the tank when I heard some rocks coming down above me. It was 15, yes 15, coues deer. 8 does and 7 bucks. There was 2 bucks in the group that were definate shooters. The smaller of the two was a 95" to 100" 3X4 with decent eye gaurds. The best buck was a 4X4( 10 point) with AWESOME eyegaurds that were about 4 inches long! I estimated him to go in the 105" to 110 range. The most sriking feature about this buck was his spread! I guessed him at at least 16" inside! The rest in the group were a couple of spikes, a spindley horned 2X3, a couple of forkies and the two big boys. I got to veiw all of these bucks for a while cuz they only spooked about 100 yards up the hill and then stopped under a couple of oaks and just stood there forever. It was awesome!!

Oh yeah, at the tank, there was a huge set of fresh lion tracks in the mud where he came down and watered..

And, on the way out, I saw a big, 'ol Gila Monster in the road. I got out and took several good pics of him and I'll post them when I get the film developed. Quite a good day at the office!!! Good hunting,

Scottyboy

That BP lock on the gate sure gives you an edge.

How about some copies of the keys for your good forum biddies that have tags in that area?

Guest Ernesto C

Yea Scotty boy how about some copys of those keys? :lol: I know that's the area Doug (red rabbit) will be hunting I'll be little more to the north but a map for me and Doug will not hurt either :P

Thanks Scotty boy,good post,I know it was quite a feleing and experience for you seen those majestic and beatifull animals.God bless you and take care.

Ernesto C.

Hey Scotty,

My 14yr. old son has a Nov. tag in 36c, We hunted it last yr. but never saw anything but small dinks. Any ideas, or thoughts on places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Also with all the IA problems, it does make me kinda nervous being with him down there. Any contact ##s & names would sure ease the stress.

Thanks, DH

Sounds like I could have a lucrative side business selling the BP keys to all ya'll !!!!! J/K

Couesnut, I would gladly point you and your son in the right direction to get him a dandy in that unit. Get with me on a PM and I'll spill a few beans for ya. And on the contact numbers for you when you are out there, get the number for the Tucson Station(or I'll give it to ya), because that is our area out there. Should you encounter any problems, call and we'll be there ASAP.

Hear from ya soon, Scottyboy

Scottyboy

My ears stood up when you said lion tracks! I have been after a lion for some time now with no luck. We found a water hole with 3 lion kills over the last 2 years, two does and a big coues buck. we had been seeing tracks pretty regular but no luck. Now there have not been any track for 3 months and I still have the "lion bug" in me.

If you can/will point me in the right direction I would apreciate it. I don't want to cause any problems for you or any one else for that matter. I don't even have a 36C deer tag. We drew a 32 mulie tag (had to keep my hunting partner, my wife, happy)

So if you can/want to then cool. If not, no hard feelings. I will still walk the hills one way or the other.

:ph34r:

Hey Scottyboy, congratulations on your experience. I don't mean to sound inflamatory, but we've reported seeing groups on illegals twice in 2 years, and in both cases we we're recieved with apathetic responses. In one case we set up on a hill off a main road with a group of 20 or so in our sight waiting for the BP to arrive. They never showed. This was very close to where you were.

I believe you guys work hard. I see you guys everywhere when I'm down there, but I don't understand why nobody showed up to catch these people when it would have been so easy. I've heard several similar reports from some of my buddies. Just curious. :ph34r:

Hey Scott:

Good deal on the deer siting. Sounds like a great day at work! I'll definitely have a lion tag in my pocket for my early hunt this year!!! :ph34r:

Dave, does your boy have the normal November hunt or the juniors hunt? Just curious, as I'll be running the juniors deer camp for the ADA this year in 36A/C. Hopefully we'll see you and your boy there if he's got the junior hunt!

S.

:)

Coues, I will try to answer your question as best I can. There is ALOT more of you ( general public) out there at any given time than there is of us. We are so understaffed that we sometimes can't get there, even if you have a group in your sight. There is just too much country out there to cover at all times. Not to mention the mass crossings out there on a daily basis. Another senario couldbe that we have caught so many at one time that we are pulled from the field to process all the bodies. Again, it comes down to man power. That is the whole reason I am even here in AZ. I would much rather be back home in TX, but this is where the BP needs me for the next couple of years so thats the way it's gotta be for awhile. Take today for instance, I got a call to go to McGee ranch road down near Green Valley. The sad part was that I was the closest one to the area and I was in Three Points!! It was a 45 min. drive just to get over there. Do you think the illegals were still there? heck no, they were long gone by the time I got over there. That is just the way it is around here. I dont go out to the field everyday trying to solve this countrys immigration problems. I can't. I go to work because I love what I do, I am outside all day, and we get paid damned good, too!! I am so proud to put that green uniform on everyday and do my part, no matter how small that part may be, to serve and protect my country the best I can. Hope that answers a few of your questions. If not, just ask. I'd be glad to give 'em a stab. Take er easy,

Scottyboy

Scotty

I spend some time is 36 A and B. Hunting Nov is 36A I generally will spend a day up Gunsight another day on Stevens BAsically Fresnal Wash if you kow it. Thinking of getting over to the McGee area this year as well. did you get to spend much timeinthe unit? IF so how did it look there is usually a lot fo water thus a lot of traffic 4 and 2 legged

Scotty, The definition of stupidity is to continue doing the same thing and expect different results. If the BP is remotely interested in inproving the catch rate, they need to get off the pavement and work at night. The desert lights up at night with illegal traffic.

JO.

Guest Ernesto C

Tucson John, how about some good hunting story,pictures of your camp,hunt or trophy?How about a huntig tip you want to share? What type of game do you hunt?

You know something like that,something usefull to us or the young one on this forum.

Happy and safe hunting.

Ernesto C.