Sign in to follow this  
buglethemin

Have you seen this big boy

Was expecting a different Curly.

post-11051-0-13704900-1475785879.gif

• Like 2

The Ghost. Unit 40B South Tinajas Altas Mountains.

The WM caught a glimpse of him Summer of 2015 and that was the last sighting of the glorious ol' boy. We have not seen him on cam since mid summer 2015.

I ran into him once while scouting my hunt year 2012. At 70 yards I just about soiled myself. Rams always look funny when they run, but the fun part about watching him was the fact that he had to stop and cock his head a certain way in order to see me because of those horns.

He is a true legend and I know I will spend some time looking around for his remains.

#redramsrule

• Like 2

ask Jay Scott. He's got the client. They're prolly trying to figure out how to get the ram off the rez.

no he does not I'm the tag holder got any recent pics? :D

FYI, this thread features two DIFFERENT rams. The original pic is of "The Ghost" from the Tinajas SE of Yuma. The other is of the monster ram farther north ...

• Like 1

FYI, this thread features two DIFFERENT rams. The original pic is of "The Ghost" from the Tinajas SE of Yuma. The other is of the monster ram farther north ...

Sure looks similar to 1 guys were calling flat top. I met him 2 years back. ?

post-2359-0-21301600-1479691177_thumb.jpg

post-2359-0-42261500-1479691198_thumb.jpg

With all the people looking for a specific sheep i do not see how they become "The Ghost". When a giant bull or buck is in an area guide and ond out fitters flood the area until he is found. Just send GPS coordinates of the place place found and enough people will show up next weekend and he will be found. Isnt that the way we are suppose to hunt now.

With all the people looking for a specific sheep i do not see how they become "The Ghost". When a giant bull or buck is in an area guide and ond out fitters flood the area until he is found. Just send GPS coordinates of the place place found and enough people will show up next weekend and he will be found. Isnt that the way we are suppose to hunt now.

I think some of these sheep go into reservations so they lose them for a while til they come off. Plus I'm sure some of those areas are incredibly rugged and tough to check all the spots he may be.

Caterpillar it was suspected that "Ghost" would put on his poncho and sombrero and head south into ol Mexico.

The ghost died this summer as an American ram. Game & fish on trail w the individual who picked up the dead head to determine how he died. Not sure if they followed that lead yet.

Can't say I agree with all that's been posted on this thread. Those who live near the area in question understand what I'm saying ...

Sooo. Dead or not dead? I know Lv2hnt knows this ram well as I communicated with him a few years ago when we had a hunt in this sheep's range.

Can't say I agree with all that's been posted on this thread. Those who live near the area in question understand what I'm saying ...

So how about you fill us in

• Like 1

Let me state this right off --- I'm no sheep "expert."

I've never seen The Ghost myself, 'tho others I know have over the years. As has been mentioned, he hasn't been seen in the last year in areas in the U.S. he has previously roamed (no proof I know of that he's died, but it's possible). It's suspected he has never respected our nation's southern border.

"Flat Top" is a ram I hunted (and called by another name) in 2013 --- he should be 12 years old now. 3 hunters are left to tag out in that unit (unless one of them killed today). DEFINITELY not either of the rams talked about in this thread. The unit's other well-known Class IV ram, "Brute," was found dead of natural causes earlier this year.

From what I've heard, as of now the huge ram mentioned in this thread, "Curly," has eluded the special tag holder and his guide(s). I would think he'd turn up again next summer if a lucky hunter, human or feline, doesn't seal his fate before then. It's not unusual for rams in our state to seem to disappear, whether due to extreme topography or their own whimsy (rams seemingly don't know themselves what they're likely to do or go 5 minutes before they do it).

Nothing like our desert bighorn sheep --- VERY special animals!!!

• Like 2

Let me state this right off --- I'm no sheep "expert."

I've never seen The Ghost myself, 'tho others I know have over the years. As has been mentioned, he hasn't been seen in the last year in areas in the U.S. he has previously roamed (no proof I know of that he's died, but it's possible). It's suspected he has never respected our nation's southern border.

"Flat Top" is a ram I hunted (and called by another name) in 2013 --- he should be 12 years old now. 3 hunters are left to tag out in that unit (unless one of them killed today). DEFINITELY not either of the rams talked about in this thread. The unit's other well-known Class IV ram, "Brute," was found dead of natural causes earlier this year.

From what I've heard, as of now the huge ram mentioned in this thread, "Curly," has eluded the special tag holder and his guide(s). I would think he'd turn up again next summer if a lucky hunter, human or feline, doesn't seal his fate before then. It's not unusual for rams in our state to seem to disappear, whether due to extreme topography or their own whimsy (rams seemingly don't know themselves what they're likely to do or go 5 minutes before they do it).

Nothing like our desert bighorn sheep --- VERY special animals!!!

Think that pic I posted of flattop was 2014. So flat on top but he was crazy thick out to side it was cool watching just do his thing.