trophymaster

Load Development Help

Are you using magnum primers? If not, switch. If so, I would try H-1000. I am using 70.5 grains of H 4831sc with 200-grain Nosler ABs in my .300 Win Mag and it's working very well. I have also used RL-19 with good results in several .300 Win Mags, but it has been hard to find lately.

I would also suggest that you get off the lead sled and get a good hefty front rest and rabbit ears bag for the rear. Some rifles just don't like the sled but work well with a softer rest. I like a Bull's Bag for a front rest for anything with more horse power than the .30-06 class, but a large-ish muslim bag filled with anything from foam peanuts to coarse sand will work about as well.

Well I got some H1000, loaded up a set 77gr-81grs and went out and shot a OCW set, I didn't have the means for 400yds to do a ladder set.

Followed the directions shoot one shoot at each target moving up in grains than worked my way backwards than back up to complete the set. Letting barrel cool between each shot. Starting to think this gun just does not like 180 or lighter bullets? or something else is going on.

Attached is the targets shoot there should be a distinct scatter node to determine OCW and I am just not seeing any consistency at all. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

The fouler shots(first target) were winchester supreme 180CT ballistic tips. I just wanted to see what they would do as you can see huge group.

I think I will load some 200's and see how it performs, going to strip it down also and check action screws, scope mounts, etc. again.

post-160-0-93535000-1475627268_thumb.jpg

I would use that 77gr load and work with COAL.

Try 200gr and try 168gr and see if either direction shows better consistency.

Harley

Maybe try a different bullet.

Berger HVLD, SMK, SGK, Matrix VLD, Lapua Scenar, Hornady ELD-X or ELD-M, etc.

If your gun won't shoot a match bullet well, that will tell you a lot. Honestly, plenty of guys who use match bullets for hunting with great success. A 210 HVLD, 210 SMK, 215 Hybrid would all rock any AZ game animal. Even a lighter grain if you want more speed, like a 175 SMK, 190 HVLD, etc.

• Like 1

Triangular groups lead me to believe you need to mess with COAL.

Huh interesting!! I need to read up on that more. I was also told to use magnums primers instead of my 210m. My groups went from 1" to 2". Switch backed to 210m federals and it tighten back up. I don't know if it will work out for me in the long run.

I will second the different bullet suggestion. A friend recently had to employ his backup gun on a sheep hunt. With this rifle he gets 3 inch groups with SST's and 3/4 inch groups with ballistic tips. I am not slamming the SST. I have a gun in the same caliber that groups them just fine. Just like some people don't like some foods, some rifles don't like some bullets. We have learned not to feed this gun SST's.

Another suggestion, have another shooter fire the gun. Preferably someone capable of sub MOA accuracy. If they can get it to group you need to work on shooting technique. If they can't get it to group it indicates load / rifle problems. I had just picked up a muzzleloader a few years back and was out at the RSSC range practicing. Another shooter was having trouble with a match rifle and asked a range officer if he new another shooter on the line capable of sub MOA accuracy. The range officer pointed down to me and told him "See the idiot with his cleaning rod stuck in his muzzleloader? He doesn't know much about muzzleloaders but he is pretty good with a rifle." I was able to get 1/2 inch groups from the rifle, isolating the problem to the shooter. Turns out the guy was a big muzzleloader hunter and I got a lot of good tips from him.

• Like 1

I have been working with my 300 win mag lately. 208gr ELD-M bullets over H1000. Federal GM215 primers loaded for mag length at about 3.41"

It is about MOA or a little less right now and I am going to keep working on it.

Harley

Hodgdon lists 73gr H483 as max with 180gr bullets.

Nosler shows H1000 to be the most accurate with 180gr bullets, but the top loads are compressed.

I had my best results in my finicky 300WM with H4831 and 180 ballistic tips.

I would try the 180 BT, or 180 Accubond.

How far off the lands are your SSTs when seated to fit the magazine? You may not be able to use a pointy VLD type bullet.

Is the rifle bedded? Trigger pull weight?

What kind of table? concrete bench or folding table?

It looks by one of your posts that you already checked torque on the action screws. If you haven't, I would definitely do that. Is the stock free floated and bedded? I couldn't hold consistent groups on the first rifle I reloaded for. I had the action bedded and barrel free floated hoping that would help. I still couldn't hold consistent groups. On further inspection, I found the front action screw to be too long. It couldn't be torqued to specs without rubbing on the bolt lug, which was also causing over-pressure signs. I grinded down the front action screw and torqued the action to specs in 5 inch pound increments working front to back on the action screws. Now several loads shoot well under an inch consistently.

Triangular groups lead me to believe you need to mess with COAL.

Huh interesting!! I need to read up on that more. I was also told to use magnums primers instead of my 210m. My groups went from 1" to 2". Switch backed to 210m federals and it tighten back up. I don't know if it will work out for me in the long run.

I've had my best success with 210m with H1000 in the 300 win myself. Warm or cold temps.

Thanks for all the insights and tips! I have a box of the Hornady 200gr ELD-X to try but haven't had a chance to mess with them yet.

Rifle is a Weatherby Mark V, 1:9.5 twist, has a long throat and magazine length really restricts the length, has aluminum bedding block but is not glass bedded, trigger is adjusted as low as it will go assuming about 3lbs, shooting table has been folding style with bags or bipod.

Thanks for all the insights and tips! I have a box of the Hornady 200gr ELD-X to try but haven't had a chance to mess with them yet.

Rifle is a Weatherby Mark V, 1:9.5 twist, has a long throat and magazine length really restricts the length, has aluminum bedding block but is not glass bedded, trigger is adjusted as low as it will go assuming about 3lbs, shooting table has been folding style with bags or bipod.

I can't remember but a 1:9.5 should stable that bullet. Any heavier you probably want a 1:10 barrel. I could be wrong