justinspe25

UPDATED - Youth Javi 37A&37B Success

Hello,

Picked up a leftover javelina tag for my son this year cause he got skunked on deer. This is our 2nd attempt at 37A and 37B. Last year we hunting a bunch different spots like 96 hills, mineral mountian, picket post and didn't turn up anything. Went out to Newman peak tonight and didn't find much sign. Just curious if there are any suggestions anyone wants to throw our way so I can get my son a chance at one. I have pretty much followed the G&F info with no luck. I am thinking of heading back out to Newman peak for opening day this Friday to hunt the foothills! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Justin

I was on the east side of Newman in the spring looking with a friend and did see tracks but did not run into any pigs for what it's worth.

• Like 1

If you want to go to newmans... get on the OTHER side of the mountains.. go around and head towards the south side. Most hunters hit the North facing side. I believe if you start out near the flats on the south where a few water holes are and work your way in. You may have a shot.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

There are plenty around Newman Peak

If they aren't up high then check the washes. There used to be a lot that went into the pecans then back to the desert. They're there.

I wanted to Thank everyone who provided insight and for their willingness to help. My son and I had a great time hunting together, we shared ALOT of laughs and those memories are going to be cherished!! He got a pig on the third day at about 8:30am.

Here's how it went. First 2 days we saw nothing but deer...that was really cool regardless! The 3rd we hit our opening morning spot again and at first light we saw two mulie bucks again! Hunting the flats for these buggers is not easy with alot of vegetation so I thought we should get higher so we can see down on the ground better. So I suggested that to Carson and he says ok and we pack up. As we are about to leave Carson says "dad pig", i said "big what"? He said "PIG right below us in the wash"! I said OHHHH! So move to get look and I spot 1 just hanging under a tree so I told Carson to get setup on a rock quick and shoot...but the pig took off. So we worked our way around the corner of this boulder invested hill and spotted 2 but moving fast. I think they heard us coming....not surprised as we were trying to hurry over these rocks! So we get another broadside view and he gets setup and i did a guesstimation on distance 200 yards, but right before he was ready for the shoot the pig ran off into the thick cactus and bushes!! We couldn't see them anymore so we made our way around into the sun and we were getting roasted so my thought was go up high to find them or just get on their tracks and chase em! I read that was a good strategy cause they don't go far. So i chose that not having much hope to find them still hunting on the desert floor.

So we take off walking really slow and keeping an eye open but seeing nothing. The morning sun was just get hotter and hotter! So I said lets circle back and catch the road back to the truck. Not 5 mins later I start seeing fresh tracks and Carson says should we follow this tiny wash? I said nah lets just keep toward the road. Shortly after, right in front Carson and I this pig walks 10 yards right in front of us not spooked, he didn't see us. So I kneel and tell him "PIG", he said "where" I said moving to the right. 5 seconds later boom! He said "got em"! I walked around and he was not down so told him to shoot him again and he was down. Because he took a moving shot he hit him literally in the teeth and he fell and got back up. He felt bad but i said he it was quick shot and the good thing is you finished him off quick and we didn't have to chase a wounded animal.

Here he is, my son's first big game animal! Talk about a proud pop! I was so happy for him and how he handled himself the whole time. He never got frustrated and stuck with it. It was good see deer cause it gave him confidence we were going to find something!

Thanks again for all the help!

post-2218-0-12843400-1476201897_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-83992500-1476201930_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-38381000-1476201955_thumb.jpg

PS: He got him in 37A!

• Like 11