Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Time to open up the debate on Rifle Selection

Totally agree that what you have is sufficient. The .270 has been a long-time go-to gun for just about any game in the world. One thing I've found, and this applies to rifles and bows - shoot what you are most comfortable with. If you trust your equipment, you spend more of your energy really hunting and getting to the point where you get it done, then you do your job, they do theirs.

• Like 1

Never owned a 270 but heard great things about it. I have always used .308 Winchester for my hunts. Tons of practice with it and get great shot placement has always the job done. I shoot match grade 185 grain ABM Berger hunting round traveling 2550 fps at the muzzle out of a 24" 5R Bartlein barrel. I believe like many use what your most comfortable and shoot the best with.

Darn it. Just when we need .270 he is long gone.

He'll always remain 7-.08 to me.
  • Like 1

Like someone already stated........in September most shots will be close range........therefore hand grenades will be the most deadly!

• Like 2

Neither would be my first choice, but if they were what I had I wouldn't hesitate for a second with either. I would worry about bullet choice more than caliber. In the 270 130gr Swift Scirocco would be my first choice. My sister in law tipped over a cow last week with the Swift fired from a 270 Wsm @ 400 yds. Didn't exit but you could feel the bullet under the skin on the off side. Other choices would be Barnes 129 lrx, and Nosler 140 gr Accubond. In the 308 same bullets just 165's.

• Like 1

I think you should build a wicked custom and take lots of pictures and share them!!

I would have to agree there! I love the 300 RUM! But both your rifles would do it. Personally I would want something with more punch but that's personal preference.
  • Like 1