Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Time to open up the debate on Rifle Selection

Gotta agree with Jack on this one, he killed dang near everything with the .270. They don't call it "The rifleman's rifle" for nothing. Personally, one of our favorites. My dad and I own several .270's and .270 WSMs.

Gotta agree with Jack on this one, he killed dang near everything with the .270. They don't call it "The rifleman's rifle" for nothing. Personally, one of our favorites. My dad and I own several .270's and .270 WSMs.

but the riflemans rifle was a 44-40 wasnt it?

• Like 4

Shoot what you can shoot accurately. You have two rifles to choose from. Get on the range and find out what suites you and go with it. They are both capable of filling your tag.

If you are already shooting elk out to 400 yards you should be set. I wouldn't have a problem shooting an elk at 400 yards with my tikka 140 grain accubond. Depends on what unit too. If your in a open country maybe switch to an 300 win mag if you want more range.

What you have is fine...BUT, big bull elk are incredible tough. Shoot the biggest heaviest bullet you can shoot accurately IMO

• Like 1

So much for keeping it clean. Either rifle will do it, a 338 will do it, even a .22lr to the head WILL do it. But your good with what you got. Unless you just want a new rifle? In that case pick up a .30 cal mag. Shoulder only hurts if your weak. Trphyhntr's hooker knows that.

"a .270 Win model 70 that I'm very comfortable out to 400 yards"

You answered your own question right here. The .270, with good heavy bullet is enough. The fact that you are "Very comfortable" with it is the deciding factor. Don't think twice.

• Like 1

Darn it. Just when we need .270 he is long gone.

I havent seen him post for a while is he really gone??

50BMG.

Or anything you can hit with 243 and above at reasonable range for the cartridge.

257 weatherby with 115gr bullet took my cow elk last year with zero problem. 260 yards.

Harley