Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Outdoor Edge or Havalon?

I like the finesse with the havalon. But, with that comes concerns with the ease that the blade can snap. I've sliced my finger pretty good after a blade snapped quartering an elk on a hillside. Pretty fortunate I didnt sever an artery. I have an outdoor edge as well and like it too. Both have their perks....

I meant to buy a Havalon after the elk hunt I was on but just now did a little comparison and decided to give the Outdoor Edge Razor Pro a try @ 44.00. Never even heard of it before today. Thanks for the tip. (Unless it sucks. lol)

Where at? That is a good price.

I meant to buy a Havalon after the elk hunt I was on but just now did a little comparison and decided to give the Outdoor Edge Razor Pro a try @ 44.00. Never even heard of it before today. Thanks for the tip. (Unless it sucks. lol)

Where at? That is a good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331859173975?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

44.84 shipped.

Extra blades were cheaper on Amazon Prime. 10.69 for 6

Ever since I started using custom knives I've never went back ! For about 150 bucks a good quality made in the USA

Ive done

2 pigs

1 deer

1 elk

On the same knive 154cm steel 61 rockwell

post-14930-0-26109300-1476084403_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have both and each has it's shortcomings. If looking for an ultralight knife for backpacking I would go the Gerber Vital. Same blade as the Havalon and nearly identical weight, but much better design. You can "feel" the handle more in your hand (i.e. in the dark, cold bloody hands, probably exhausted and can't see what you're doing). Plus changing the blade in the Gerber is MUCH easier, especially when you are changing a broken blade. I used the Havalon for 3 years and it always made me uneasy changing that blade. The backcountry is not a good place to cut yourself with a knife that sharp. Gerber is just as sharp, just designed better to avoid an accident.

If you're not backpacking, I would get a fixed blade with good steel.

• Like 1

Good to hear. ..

I just ordered a Vital off Midway that was on clearance. $25 shipped with a matching gut hook/zipper.

I have outdoor edge, havalon & gerber I like all 3. The edge is stronger than the others & blades is easy to change. The Gerber blades are the same as the havalon, but way easier to replace.

1st choice: Outdoor edge

2nd choice: Gerber

3rd choice: Havalon

I ended up getting the Edge Pro and gave it to my son for his birthday on Sunday. Everyone had to hold it and he was pretty happy so thanks everyone for the input.

I watched one of the outdoor edge being used and it did ok. I was skinning the other half of the deer with my real knives.

Ask a guy who butchers animals 6 days a week what knife he uses. Won't be either of the above. He will use 4 or 5 " boner and the same size skinner. Yes it's 2 knifes in the field compared to one, but they serve their purpose well. For just rolling the guts for those who do, a retractable small razor knife does wonders. To each their own, I have been fortunately trained with real butcher knives so I have never fallen for the hype.