GreyGhost85

"Good to a thousand" mentality??

I wouldn't say it's not hunting, but it makes it a lot easier to kill out. They don't even know you're in the woods at 500 yards away.

Hunting is all the moments leading up to that squeeze of the trigger.

this is true, but it takes away the 2nd hardest part of the hunt. the first is locating them. but if you can shoot them from where you located them, theres a lot less "hunting" involved usually. if i had a little kid, i dont think i would want them shooting far or out of one of those triclawps things. learning to get close and have the chance of busting them is part of hunting. if you can them out of a vice with a sniper rifle from 800 that aint teaching them much except how to pull a trigger

Teaching the kids and PRACTICING with them at long range makes the kids a better hunter. Knowing your rifle and load, and having confidence in them, is priceless.

Know when to shoot, and when NOT to shoot is a learning process too. Knowing the difference is something everyone should know, and unfortunately, is not always the case.

I don't have a vice or Triclawps. Prone with a good solid rear rest is my preferred method for shooting longer ranges. Along with lots of practice on proper shooting form.

Getting your kids out hunting is life changing. For both the parent and the child. Respecting our wildlife, natural resources, the outdoors, and the traditions of the sport will always be one of my most cherished things I can pass down to my kids, and in the future, grandkids.

• Like 4

I wouldn't say it's not hunting, but it makes it a lot easier to kill out. They don't even know you're in the woods at 500 yards away.

Hunting is all the moments leading up to that squeeze of the trigger.

this is true, but it takes away the 2nd hardest part of the hunt. the first is locating them. but if you can shoot them from where you located them, theres a lot less "hunting" involved usually. if i had a little kid, i dont think i would want them shooting far or out of one of those triclawps things. learning to get close and have the chance of busting them is part of hunting. if you can them out of a vice with a sniper rifle from 800 that aint teaching them much except how to pull a trigger

Teaching the kids and PRACTICING with them at long range makes the kids a better hunter. Knowing your rifle and load, and having confidence in them, is priceless.

Know when to shoot, and when NOT to shoot is a learning process too. Knowing the difference is something everyone should know, and unfortunately, is not always the case.

I don't have a vice or Triclawps. Prone with a good solid rear rest is my preferred method for shooting longer ranges. Along with lots of practice on proper shooting form.

Getting your kids out hunting is life changing. For both the parent and the child. Respecting our wildlife, natural resources, the outdoors, and the traditions of the sport will always be one of my most cherished things I can pass down to my kids, and in the future, grandkids.

Pass those things down to your kids and future grandkids, but leave me all those awesome rifles.

• Like 1

Hunting is all the moments leading up to that squeeze o trigger.

I think of it a lot like golf. You have different clubs for different shots. Likewise in hunting, you never know what youll be faced with on any given day. Also, your personal life and available time has to be considered. I'd prefer to be reasonably close for my shots. I like 40 to 50 yards best. Animals jump the string too much closer than that, and we all know the arguments about long shots. But this year, im faced with a very limited time situation. So I'll hope for my 40 shot, but will be prepared for 80.

I can see the same logic with a rifle hunt. Probably everyone would love that 150 stationary shot, but its nice to be able to make that 800 yard on if you have to, or just decide to on that day.

No right or wrong answer for this one, just personal preference. Since my kids/nephews were small the best way to teach them was tracking, moving slow, getting the wind right and getting close. It taught them to predict what the animal was going to do. There eyes and anticipation could not be held inside their heads when we got close. As I get older and have a killed a few mature animals I try to increase the challenge with my weapons getting more and more primitive. This year I actually got nervous stalking a fork horn buck with my recurve. That being said I could not have been happier when my brother shot his deer at 492 yards last year or my nephew shooting his at over 800 this year. I just think that the long range taking of animal is less about hunting skill and more about shooting proficiency. Of course I am backwards thinking, I think the last ten animals or so that I have taken, nine of them I saw without the use binoculars.

any of you guys from the midwest? if you think LR hunting is a problem here, you should see the bucks theyre shooting in south dakota, north dakota, nebraska, etc. with long range rigs. everyone has them now, shooting bucks across fields 600 yards aways those deer have hardly any place to hide.