GreyGhost85

"Good to a thousand" mentality??

Good topic. Most of you old farts are just bitter because let's face it with the internet and multitude of options from custom to upper shelf commercial offerings going 1k isn't that hard do. Personally I wouldn't take an animal from that range unless it was a world class trophy situation., no time, etc...otherwise I'll just get closer. But going 1k makes 600 a layup which is way in my wheelhouse.

Old Fart ... smile when you call me that son ... :lol:

I think it would behoove us as hunters to encourage our community to concentrate on range time rather than worry about our rifle being "good to a thousand".

Real life field conditions have so many variables that increase exponentially as the distances increase. As this video demonstrates, we need to get back to the core basics of range time and stop worrying about becoming the next YouTube hunting sensation.

• Like 2

How is anyone actually surprised?

Seems an awful lot of people are not responsible for much of anything they do these days. Same thing here.

Really nothing has changed, used to be open sites or 4x scopes to 300yds. A LOT of articles in the past stating how to do it.

All that being said 500yds is a long way! Practice to 1,000 so that 500 becomes reasonable. If you aren't breaking out your anomometer, shooting program,or drop chart you probably should not be shooting. It aint a fast process, Just saying...

• Like 1

Old Fart here too! My personal thoughts are if your not spending so much time at a range shooting at those kind of distances that you are getting your mail delivered there, you shouldn't be taking a shot at a game animal at those kind of distances. But times have changed.

my only experience with the "over a thousand club" the gun was sighted in for 1000 yrds -- great sendero 300 win mag top of the line optics/scope. the gun was accurate!

human error was the problem - even when gun was Clawed - the sightest bump-grip-flinch-wind still effects the point of impact -squeeze the tripper wrong - yes even trigger pull can change everything

guide put a guy behind the set-up took 6 shots for him to "join the club" even though it was acctually 965- lol

it was still a marginal hit but he had his 90 in buck down

latter hunter admitted - crosshairs where all over the place

excitement- buck fever whatever -

same guy probably would of made a marginal hit at 100

great to have the confidence and have an accurate rifle to do the long range shooting / hunting but not everyone is capable

sounds easy to turn the dial hold and shoot - still lots of variables even for the most experienced of shooters

big difference between those who can and those who think they can !

• Like 1

I work part-time at a gunshop over by Intel. We have had several engineers tell us that they wanted to buy a 338 Lupua and a high-end Vortex (400max) and were going to shoot long distance. One guy told us he had never shot anything but a handgun but since he was an engineer and he knew the math involved, he would be good out to 1500yards. His shooting mentor was a Youtube guy that "offers training much better then what our Military Snipers and LEO get." We tried to talk him off of his perch but he probably just bought his setup from someone else.

What I learned from these guys is "Shooting long distance is just math, anyone can do it."

$4000 rifle

+$400 scope

+1 hour watching YouTube training video

X1000 yards

X 0 hours behind rifle

= 0 game shot and recovered

See, simple math even an engineer can do!

• Like 4

I work part-time at a gunshop over by Intel. We have had several engineers tell us that they wanted to buy a 338 Lupua and a high-end Vortex (400max) and were going to shoot long distance. One guy told us he had never shot anything but a handgun but since he was an engineer and he knew the math involved, he would be good out to 1500yards. His shooting mentor was a Youtube guy that "offers training much better then what our Military Snipers and LEO get." We tried to talk him off of his perch but he probably just bought his setup from someone else.

What I learned from these guys is "Shooting long distance is just math, anyone can do it."

Maybe they are planning on staying at a Holiday Inn Express?

• Like 3

the best part of the story is one of the guys working with us was a vet that was the commander of the Armys sniper school at Ft Benning. Jason just smiled and nodded.

I would love to see a contest...put up or shut up.

$1000 buy-in.

1 shot in field conditions at 1000 yards on a 10 inch plate.

You hit, you get the $1000. You miss, you pay $1000.

Who would pay to play?

$1000 buy-in.

Who would pay to play?

Just like in real hunting, it would depend on the conditions at the time. And I bet I could sneak closer.....

• Like 2

$1000 buy-in.

Who would pay to play?

I dont think you even have to go to that extreme. Make it 600 yards across a canyon with rising thermals and drainages pointing in different directions causing the wind to swirl unpredictably and 90% of your keyboard commandos wouldnt get on the plate if you gave them 3 tries.

I know I wouldnt.

• Like 1