GreyGhost85

"Good to a thousand" mentality??

Minority? With a sighted in gun and proper ballistic app I can't see how anyone couldn't shoot 5-600 yards? What am I missing here?

Solid rest, elevation of target, nerves, light, brush/grass, breathing, trigger squeeze, ...

Minority? With a sighted in gun and proper ballistic app I can't see how anyone couldn't shoot 5-600 yards? What am I missing here?

Solid rest, elevation of target, nerves, light, brush/grass, breathing, trigger squeeze, ...

+1 on nerves!

I am the absolute KING of buck fever (Bow or rifle.... Just ask the bull elk I missed an archery 'chip shot' on last month! :blink: ). NO long rifle shots for me!!! I've handed the .7MM over to my kids and I now pack the 30-30 for deer. I'll shoot one with iron sites if I can get to 100 yards!. ;)

S.

you need a good rest and reasonable wind but it's not hard to get to 500-600 using the shooter app with good info. My buddy got one of them Kenton industries turrets and that thing is money dude, crazy.

I shot out to 1040 yards on the first hunt this year. Hit what I aiming at on the second shot. Was amazing to be able to pull off that shot at such an extreme distance! The math involved and precision craftsmanship of that rifle and scope, was amazing! I was shooting at a rock by the way, not a deer.

you need a good rest and reasonable wind but it's not hard to get to 500-600 using the shooter app with good info. My buddy got one of them Kenton industries turrets and that thing is money dude, crazy.

Technology is constantly making the impossible seem easy. A couple more years and youll see digital scopes with all the ranging, environmental measuring calculating built in. You wont even have to touch the turret, youll just have to change the battery when it dies. Then 1000 yards will be a chip shot and people will be griping about the unethical aholes shooting at 2000.

• Like 2

This is my first post to this web site so here it goes. This is a big issue I have with hunters my son is included in this he thinks just because my rifle is set up to shoot that far that he can hit everything with it that far. He would not listen to the old man so we went to the range set a box up at 600 and I let him

try after the 6th shot of not hitting a deer sized paper target I made him stop shooting and explained that was the reason he didn't shoot that far. To which he answered I hit the box dad. 15 year olds think they know everything.

• Like 2

read azgfd regulations and I believe a electronic rifle (tracking point) is excluded from fair chase by description. Meaning that you cannot use it.

• Like 3

Some people shoot all year, perfecting the art and fine tuning their equipment to be able to shoot serious distance when/if the need arises, almost becoming obsessive about intricate details.

The other camp is the guys who blow the dust off grandads "thurdy naught six" once a year in Oct, chug some Mtn Ops and hit the hills with their selfie sticks projecting their mad skills on social media.

Then there is everybody in between.

There is room for all creeds out there. The real issue here is knowing your capability in the field and working within it.

• Like 6

read azgfd regulations and I believe a electronic rifle (tracking point) is excluded from fair chase by description. Meaning that you cannot use it.

Just shooting from my personal memory, I can remember baiting deer being legal, the use of deer urine as an attractant, and once upon a time many states had laws that made high letoff bows illegal (colorado still stops it at 80%).

Laws change and as technology becomes more normal, its easy to take some things away and allow others.

• Like 1

Some people shoot all year, perfecting the art and fine tuning their equipment to be able to shoot serious distance when/if the need arises, almost becoming obsessive about intricate details.

The other camp is the guys who blow the dust off grandads "thurdy naught six" once a year in Oct, chug some Mtn Ops and hit the hills with their selfie sticks projecting their mad skills on social media.

Then there is everybody in between.

There is room for all creeds out there. The real issue here is knowing your capability in the field and working within it.

my friend texted me once, something about shooting a "30 yacht 6" lmao, it killed me.

• Like 1

Let's ask this question... 800 off bipods at a deer that had no clue you are there or 100 yards off hand at a buck you just jumped out of his bed. I shoot a ton all year. For one I enjoy it as does my 7 year old son. Another so I'm ready when the time comes. I think it all comes down to knowing what you can and more importantly cannot do. Some guys shouldn't be shooting at all because they never went out and even zeroed their rifle before opening day.

• Like 6

Neither for me. I can't shoot off-hand to save my life and I don't think I would try an 800 yd shot.

I regularly practice at 500 off sticks so I "know" I am good to there. With that practice, I feel confident that in the right scenario I could shoot 600. I don't know that I personally would push much further. I load my own and have my equipment dialed in. Misses are on ME.

I do know my limitations.

My buddy on the other hand.....he goes to Sportsmans and picks up whatever box of ammo the kid tells him to and "calls it good".

Yeah, he is "that guy".