GreyGhost85

"Good to a thousand" mentality??

Minority? With a sighted in gun and proper ballistic app I can't see how anyone couldn't shoot 5-600 yards? What am I missing here?

At a range ... heck I'll punch paper all day long. Rest, no rest, bench, no bench, prone, seated, whatever. The field is a different animal (pun intended) entirely.

Yeah ... lots of practice and you get good at it. But the variables when you are hunting increase.

You want to go out and shoot 500, 600, 1000 ... ok. It's not for me most of the time, and I'd say it's not for a majority of hunters out there, most of whom shoot less frequently than the die hards --- many of whom shoot once a year a week before the hunt. I happen to be a pretty good shot with most weapons. I didn't work at it, it came natural. Good enough though that I shot in college on a small arms rifle team. Good enough that most guys I shoot with say I am really good. I still limit myself because I know that the variables can play heck with you, and I don't like to wound things. Some people might call me over cautious ... some might call me a wuss (funny) ... but I do what I do because of the way I personally feel about it. That is self imposed.

You might be one of those exceptions ... but yeah ... I'd say that a minority are really good enough to regularly shoot out in that Medium Range Category ... and the guys who can shoot 1000 and more in the field (consistently and with great confidence) are a truly rare bird. Some of them are on here ... and they have my respect. As do those guys who can truly shoot Medium Range consistently and with confidence.

• Like 3

This thread makes me glad I only bowhunt, that way everything is 'short range' and I don't have to worry about all that practice & ethics crap...

Guess my scopes don't have parallax adjustment, lol. Maybe I haven't caught up with technology and 600+ yards with the latest scopes and rifles really is a "chip shot". I do appreciate the constructive feedback.

Many people who own scopes with parallax adjustment do not know what it is. It might be the most overlooked adjustment there is.

Minority? With a sighted in gun and proper ballistic app I can't see how anyone couldn't shoot 5-600 yards? What am I missing here?

At a range ... heck I'll punch paper all day long. Rest, no rest, bench, no bench, prone, seated, whatever. The field is a different animal (pun intended) entirely.

Yeah ... lots of practice and you get good at it. But the variables when you are hunting increase.

You want to go out and shoot 500, 600, 1000 ... ok. It's not for me most of the time, and I'd say it's not for a majority of hunters out there, most of whom shoot less frequently than the die hards --- many of whom shoot once a year a week before the hunt. I happen to be a pretty good shot with most weapons. I didn't work at it, it came natural. Good enough though that I shot in college on a small arms rifle team. Good enough that most guys I shoot with say I am really good. I still limit myself because I know that the variables can play heck with you, and I don't like to wound things. Some people might call me over cautious ... some might call me a wuss (funny) ... but I do what I do because of the way I personally feel about it. That is self imposed.

You might be one of those exceptions ... but yeah ... I'd say that a minority are really good enough to regularly shoot out in that Medium Range Category ... and the guys who can shoot 1000 and more in the field (consistently and with great confidence) are a truly rare bird. Some of them are on here ... and they have my respect. As do those guys who can truly shoot Medium Range consistently and with confidence.

idk about all that dude, i just dont think its hard to hit a deer size animal at 5-600 with todays equipment is all.

• Like 1

This thread makes me glad I only bowhunt, that way everything is 'short range' and I don't have to worry about all that practice & ethics crap...

Except when January comes around we will be getting the adds "looking for a long range sight out to 120 yards for my PSE Nova"

This huge bull (Vaquero Outfitters, apparently ORO Ranch) was missed 7 times week 1, then when he was shot week 2, took 2 days to find him.... do you think it had anything to do with long range shooting?

https://www.facebook.com/189502424437750/photos/a.249071028480889.67799.189502424437750/1132712700116713/?type=3&theater

Except when January comes around we will be getting the adds "looking for a long range sight out to 120 yards for my PSE Nova"

I hear from a very reliable source (archerytalk.com) that if one were to shoot slick tricks, aiming becomes obsolete.... as they are heat seeking. And apparently when you hit a deer with one the hole 'looks like someone threw a baby holding a chain saw through it'.

Now rages are even better. They do all of the above plus cut & package your meat for you (same resource cited).

• Like 2

This huge bull (Vaquero Outfitters, apparently ORO Ranch) was missed 7 times week 1, then when he was shot week 2, took 2 days to find him.... do you think it had anything to do with long range shooting?

https://www.facebook.com/189502424437750/photos/a.249071028480889.67799.189502424437750/1132712700116713/?type=3&theater

Yeah ... I'd love to know the distance on the shot.

Can you hit a deer sized object at some stated yardage is one thing ... can you hit them in the quick kill zone at that yardage is another. One of my sons I would let shoot farther than the other ... simply because he can put the bullet where he wants it more often than the other at yardages past a couple of hundred.

Good topic. Most of you old farts are just bitter because let's face it with the internet and multitude of options from custom to upper shelf commercial offerings going 1k isn't that hard do. Personally I wouldn't take an animal from that range unless it was a world class trophy situation., no time, etc...otherwise I'll just get closer. But going 1k makes 600 a layup which is way in my wheelhouse.

• Like 2

Good topic. Most of you old farts are just bitter because let's face it with the internet and multitude of options from custom to upper shelf commercial offerings going 1k isn't that hard do. Personally I wouldn't take an animal from that range unless it was a world class trophy situation., no time, etc...otherwise I'll just get closer. But going 1k makes 600 a layup which is way in my wheelhouse.

this guy knows

Old farts - guess that's me. Bitter? No. Realistic? Yes. Again, if you can do it confidently and consistently, then by all means take the shot. I know my limits and stick to them. I've seen guys buy these long range guns and not shoot MOA at 100 yards, off a bench. And I know there are plenty of guys on this forum who can shoot better at 800 - 1000 than I can at 400 - 500. But not everyone who buys a 1000 yard gun for whatever price can shoot that gun to it's potential - especially in field conditions.

And to Matty's point - I've seen enough guys who can consistently shoot 8 inch groups at 80 yards with a bow in practice, either miss a bull entirely inside 50 yards or worse, a really bad hit, to discern between what we are capable of in practice vs. in the field.

One guy I know was prepping for an upcoming archery elk hunt. Once he got confident shooting at known ranges in his yard, he started running around his house several times, then doing a bunch of push-ups and picking up his bow to see what he could really do with his heart and lungs racing and adrenaline flowing. I think we could all benefit by practicing this way.

• Like 2

Old farts - guess that's me. Bitter? No. Realistic? Yes. Again, if you can do it confidently and consistently, then by all means take the shot. I know my limits and stick to them. I've seen guys buy these long range guns and not shoot MOA at 100 yards, off a bench. And I know there are plenty of guys on this forum who can shoot better at 800 - 1000 than I can at 400 - 500. But not everyone who buys a 1000 yard gun for whatever price can shoot that gun to it's potential - especially in field conditions.

And to Matty's point - I've seen enough guys who can consistently shoot 8 inch groups at 80 yards with a bow in practice, either miss a bull entirely inside 50 yards or worse, a really bad hit, to discern between what we are capable of in practice vs. in the field.

One guy I know was prepping for an upcoming archery elk hunt. Once he got confident shooting at known ranges in his yard, he started running around his house several times, then doing a bunch of push-ups and picking up his bow to see what he could really do with his heart and lungs racing and adrenaline flowing. I think we could all benefit by practicing this way.

All good points. Old fart is a term of endearment for me so didn't mean to offend.

• Like 1

When I was up in Colorado last week I had a coyote dancing around chasing field mice at about 40 yards. I watched her and knew I wouldn't take a shot because it was too early in the evening and I didnt want to risk spooking an unseen elk. Later on dhe showed up again rigjt around dusk skirting the edge of the meadow right up towards me. This time I was going to hammer her. The minute I decided to take the shot my heart started pumping adrenaline and I couldnt calm myself down. Got the shakes so dang bad! I put the bow back on the hook and just watched her. She came right up to me about 8-10 feet, looked me right in the eyes and hauled butt outta there.

Ive shot a couple p&y deer and never had anything set my nerves off like that. I couldn't have hit a broadside bus at 20yards in that moment. i dont know how you train for that.

All good points. Old fart is a term of endearment for me so didn't mean to offend.

No offense taken. Best wishes to you and those around you.