Guest oneshot

Hand-to-hand Man vs Mule deer (graphic content)

Guest oneshot

Warning graphic content,,, Yes there is always hindsight, but this is how it realy went down...

One of the Hunters in our camp this past week had a wild, full contact solo hunt tuesday evening. He parked his rig and was just going to step-off the trail to glass, when he saw a 3x3 Mulie stand up in deep brush about 200yards away. He quickly loaded his rifle and sent one. The buck went down at the shot. He had to cross a cut, losing sight of where the buck went down. As he walked to where the buck dropped, No Deer....

Catching movement, he see's the buck, bleeding from the neck shot, topping out over the ridge, staggering as it went. He ran to the ridge top and saw the buck going over another little ridge and went to send another one... CLICK... the one-in-100,000 round that doesnt go BANG... no problem right? He goes to jack another round in and finds the mag EMPTY... No problem again right??? Just pull out the extra rounds in his pocket... NO extra rounds in pocket... More bullets back at his rig now 3ridges over.

Buck looks to be almost dead on his feet, but heading toward really thick cover in a deep draw, so he starts to run the buck down.

Thats when things get full-bore wild...

He catches up with the buck, within feet, deer is bleeding, staggering along and he pulls his 3inch blade knife, grabs one side of the horns and neck stabs him. Buck yanks free and stumbles away, blood now coming from knife wound and bullet wound.

He catches up with the buck again and goes for a lung stab. As he reached for an antler, the buck turns, makes a crazy growl and charges!!! He tried to bull-dog the buck down, but the deer has another plan, jabbing, pushing him to the ground and dragging him for about 10feet., deer breaks free again and now very weak it crosses over another ridge.

The hunter picks himself up and gets pissed... Catches the buck again and lung stabs the buck in the left-side, excape of air from lung, another bellow, antler jabs/shakes and the deer excapes again!!!

In almost darkness, he grabs the buck again!!! and goes for another lung stab in the right side, SUCCESS!! the buck takes three steps and falls over. The hunter then jumped atop the deer and went for the neck again,multi-times, with the 3inch blade finally bringing this episode to an end...

Hunter had small cuts from being dragged, bruised arms/ribs/legs from antler hits...

Hunter cut the head-off before we even gutted it...

You are an animal my friend and hopefully I get to spend many more deer camps with you...

post-1378-0-75126000-1478124930_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-11543600-1478124955_thumb.jpg

Guest oneshot

Seven days in Deer Camp, 7tags filled, last two days of Coues(2tags) one Buck-a-day, first 5days of Mulies(5tags) one Buck-a-day, massive amount of fat on both Coues and Mulies...

Memories, laughs, shots missed and hit (581yard smack-down on the last 10mins of the last day for Coues from a first timer)...

I wish it would never end...

post-1378-0-83730500-1478127584_thumb.jpg

I knew a guy in Montana who did the same thing. He was only 16 with a 30-30 and ran out of bullets. Ran up the side of the wounded deer and clubbed the deer breaking the stock of the gun. Deer lays flat but doesn't die so he tries to cut its throat. Doesn't work he runs and gets his quad and he was to small to get the buck on the quad by himself so he tied it up and dragged it to camp. His dad said he never felt so bad for a deer before. He put it out of its memory. This was in the Mid 90s he still has the broken gun hanging on his fire place.

Your buddy is one crazy dude!

Wow! That's crazy. I hunted with a guy from New Jersey in the 80's that had a similar thing happen on a NJ whitetail hunt. He lost his knife and the killing blow came from a rock. The quote "anyone who needs more than 5 rounds is an A-hole" still rings through our hunting camps.

• Like 1

I had a similar thing happen with an antelope in Wyoming. Three friends who had taken their bucks that morning were with me when the buck I'd shot jumped up when I approached it. I grabbed its horns and tried to keep it from goring me, and that buck and I kept going around and around. I tried to twist its neck and force it to the ground like a bulldogger, but couldn't. I eventually got my friends to stop laughing and put me out of my misery by giving the antelope a finishing shot.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Sounds like the real issue was not having a long enough knife. A 3" blade? That's like bringing a 9mm to do a mans job ;)

Seriously though, crazy story - thanks for sharing

Highly doubt he planned on using a 3" knife to do what he did.

A 3" knife to me is perfect for gutting/quartering a deer.

As a matter of fact iirc my knife is a 2 3/4" blade.

The KOA Cub Bear.

As a matter of fact I used it last week on my sons elk.

dang!!! That shows how tough these bucks can be. Story of a lifetime time. Can't wait to set up camp tomorrow and start hunting on Friday. We have eight guys with tags, I can only pray that we have the success your hunting party had. Great job

Holy cow!! That will be a regular campfire story for years to come.

I'm switching out my pocket knife for something with at least a five inch or better blade....

I'm switching out my pocket knife for something with at least a five inch or better blade....

No doubt. I have a 7" k-bar I used to carry when I was bowhunting in 27 in case a bear got ahold of me. I'm thinking I might just make that a regular part of the deer gear...