sandman38y

Lap scope rings?

I bought a Remington 700 sendero in 300 win mag, had the trigger changed to Timiney set at 2.5lbs, muzzle beak added, and tactical bolt knob added, my question is should I lap the scope rings before mounting the scope or not? Going to use talley one piece bases and rings. I have been told both and not sure how much of a difference this will make, and would you just buy the kit to do it or have someone do it for you? Who? Thx in advance for all replies!😎

You might watch the gunwerks youtube video. www.gunwerks.com or maybe it is www.G7.com, anyway it is a good instructional video. I believe they use Talley lightweight rings on their custom rifles, and they do lap them. I would also see what the mfg. recommends. I am not a user of Talley's so no personal experience that I could offer, I know they are excellent rings and widely used.

Lapping is a simple process. You can cobble together some items from the hardware store, or order the Wheeler Engineering kit (or other kit) from Midway.

forepaw

Have you looked into a true one piece set up like a dnz game reaper . Light very strong and no lapping needed as they are machined from bilet

Oz31 I did not look at those, I will give it a look but have already bought the talleys, trphyhunter not sure if it is really necessary I had a different 300 win with talley rings and they were not lapped, that gun shot good but I never stretched it out very far ( past 300 yards) so putting this one together I did not want to skip a step that may be necessary for longer ranges.

I use talleys on the rifles that dnz doesn't make a mount for.

Most lapping set has alignment bars. Once mounted with the alignment bars you know right way if lapping is needed. Some do some don't but it's case by case.

I used to lap cheap rings.

I now run either Badger Ordinance or Seekins on everything, and have not lapped any of them. Quality rings shouldn't need it.

• Like 4

Talley rings are inconsistent in their fit, so they need to be lapped. While there are some rings that provide a good fit without lapping, all scope mounts will benefit from a proper lapping job. Since all rifle actions are different, lapping the rings will custom fit the scope mount to the action. Once you have finished your lapping job be sure to mark your scope mounts so that everything goes back in the same place as before!

• Like 1

Lapping rings give them more purchase - or contact with the scope barrel. As mentioned above, the high quality rings probably don't need them. The downside of lapping is that the exposed aluminum or steel is usually more prone to leaving a ring mark on the scope barrel when the scope is removed. Perhaps sealing the inside of the ring after lapping would be a solution? If you need a lapping kit for a 30mm barrel - let me know via PM.

I used Talleys and wanted something better. They are made well and solid but I got tired of having to relevel my scope everytime I took it off the rifle.

Buy a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and don't look back. No need to lap, can correct for off center receiver holes, won't mark up the scope tube and can add MOA with the inserts.

I replaced the Talleys on my 22-250 and just bought a set of the Signature XTR rings for an AR......they are built like tanks.

I bought Seekins for my build and they were good to go. I have had other rings and needed to be lapped.

Typically, I don't lap the rings; never had to, UNTIl I scratched up a high dollar scope because of a undetected burr - OUCH!!!

Take the rings to a 'smith or someone that has the lapping tool, it's far cheaper than buying one that you'll use only once or twice.

Lapping takes way to long. I use Manson Reamers to ream mine. Can do a set of rings in minutes. If you mount a lot of scopes the reamers are worth it if not take yours to a smith that can do it. All the little details matter.