Lv2hnt

Hunts for Heroes: HELP NEEDED!!!

A lot of you are members of the Arizona Elk Society, have attended the annual AES banquet, have helped on AES work projects, have puchased AES raffle tickets --- ALL awesome involvement. Thank you!

Here's a chance to get involved in a way that goes way beyond the AES!

Within the Ariz. G&F Tag Surrender set-up, last year the AES initiated a new program focused on ARIZONA veterans who have sustained combat related disabilities: "Hunts for Heroes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJCs_eT7jM

While I, like many of you, have been involved with conservation groups for a couple decades, this is a program that has touched my soul. So much so that I've just come on board as a coordinator.

Here's the thing. Though we've conducted many hunts already this year for previously wounded vets, we have immediate need of help for elk hunts that are right around the corner! Specifically:

Nov. 25 - Dec. 1 (4 rifle bull tags, all in different northern Ariz. units)

Dec. 2 - Dec. 8 (4 rifle cow tags in 2 different units)

These hunts are set up as 3-4 day hunts (not the entire hunt period). The veteran is responsible for his/her own hunting license --- pretty much everything else is supplied for the hunt. It's important that the program has remained focused on the hunting/healing experience, not on tagging the biggest trophy possible.

SO, if you have ever wondered how you could give back to those who have given so much serving in our military, here's a chance to do so, and in something you already love to do!!! (You don't need to be a current member of AES to participate.)

Help is needed in setting up/tearing down camp, cooking/camp related, glassing, steering hunters in on game. You DON'T need a guide's license, just experience. Guides who find themselves available are especially welcome! Our goals are to give these wounded veterans a comfortable quality experience --- an opportunity to learn about and enjoy the outdoors and the hunt and hopefully to harvest an animal to help feed their family.

I (we) do really need your help NOW. My personal cell number: (480)760-3868.

--- Lv2hnt (Tom Wagner in Gilbert)

And a SPECIAL shout-out to Amanda for supporting Hunts for Heroes!!!

https://www.arizonaelksociety.org/hunts-for-heroes

• Like 4

Hi Tom - do you gave hunts for deer in southern AZ?

Would love to volunteer or guide this year or future but the elk dates above I cannot.

Thanks -

Knowing what units the hunts are in might help.

• Like 1

Much appreciated for your interest, Big or Bust!

This program is NOT just about elk hunting. Hunts for Heroes accepts donated tags for ANY draw hunt (varied species) here in Arizona. The donor delivers the tag to our program with a signed affidavit; we then transfer the tag through Ariz. G&F. At this time, the posted elk hunts are our priority. We have received donated tags for deer hunts throughout Arizona, just none outstanding at the moment.

• Like 1

We have had outfitters donate their time and expertise. This is a new program --- undoubtedly more will do so in the future.

The hunts we currently need help in:

(rifle bull / Nov. 25 - Dec. 1) > 1 tag each Units 5B, 7E, 8, 9

(rifle cow / Dec. 2 - Dec. 8) > 1 tag Unit 7E, 3 tags Unit 8

I tried to PM you, but either your box is full or something is not working.

My box isn't full. Try calling/texting me ...

Thanks for all who contacted me today --- I will get back to you.

The 5B rifle elk hunt is covered.

Still could use more helpers!

If I knew any of those units I would definitely help! If you ever get anyone who needs help in 22, 23 or any southern unit please give me a call.

• Like 1

If you ever get south I would like to help even if it was just glassing or I would be more then happy to even take a vet on a quail hunt anyway I can say thanks

• Like 1

5nRamirez:

Check your CWT in-box ...

Guys, do not think that you have to be intimate with a unit to help these vets. If you have the time, there is plenty that can be done. Camp work, glassing, tracking, packing out, helping with mobility issues, just being there for support. I guarantee you it will be a much more enjoyable experience than standing in line all morning on black Friday just to find out what you were going to buy is already gone. Not to mention what better way to get in the holiday spirit than giving of your time to someone who has been through and sacrificed so much.

Just sayin'.

• Like 2

Guys, do not think that you have to be intimate with a unit to help these vets. If you have the time, there is plenty that can be done. Camp work, glassing, tracking, packing out, helping with mobility issues, just being there for support. I guarantee you it will be a much more enjoyable experience than standing in line all morning on black Friday just to find out what you were going to buy is already gone. Not to mention what better way to get in the holiday spirit than giving of your time to someone who has been through and sacrificed so much.

Just sayin'.

This. I'd love to help out and have always heard great things about helping out wIth similar programs and hunts. I'm already obligated these dates, but I'm all in for future hunts!
  • Like 1