Savageman25

Elk behavior

So this year is my first year elk hunt and am having a heck of a time trying to find them. I drew a tag for antlerless 19a tag for dec 2nd through the 11th. I understand this is a tough hunt and that it's not and hasn't been easy in the past either.I have been hiking my legs off both high and low. I've been told all kinds of things by all kinds of people. I hear they will be high, then another says they will be low, then another says they'll only move for around a hour in the morning then another hour at night probably while it's still dark. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know what to listen to so I come hear to ask for wisdom.

All the water is frozen toward the top of Mingus with little to no sign of any elk tracks in the snow. Wondering if they went lower for ease of watering or is that no big deal at all? Have been told they run from the sound of atvs or razors but won't run from the sound of a truck? Don't know what to believe there.

Ive been keeping the wind at my face religiously and tried to pick out areas that seem like they would be good for elk as explained by a book I've read all about elk hunting. To sum this all up I'd like to say mentally I'm still in the game with high spirits but my body is aching from all the hiking and rough roads I've been traveling. Hoping for someone's been in my shoes and can help a brother out. I would like to thank others who have given me insight already but they themselves have even said it was advice based on earlier hunts than this.

I watched elk change behavior this year. It almost makes me think we have a tough winter coming. Try and seek benches and lanes with oaks. I saw more acorn studded elk shite than I have in a lot of years. I don't know 19a from driving the highway but I hope this helps. Good luck and shoot straight.

You will get 10 different answers from 10 different hunters that had elk tags previously.

We just got back from a bull hunt in 7W. There were elk at all elevations except the very highest of peaks over 10K. From 6000 to 9500. Weather and pressure make huge differences in movement and bedding areas. We usually saw elk moving mostly in the morning, and last light. We did see a lot of elk in bedding areas that were up midday, but just to browse and stretch. When it was really cold, like single digits mornings and low 30s highs, we saw a bit of East face elk bedding. Other than that, mostly north faces still. And thick stuff, like transition PJ areas once pressure hit. They were not hitting tanks with all of the standing water everywhere with the snow, and previous week's rain.

I not only know your pain, I feel it. For real, been pounding 19a since Friday and can hardly walk. Son and wife have tags. We filled my sons tag Saturday/ Sunday. But, before this poor lonely elk died, she told us that the elk Union of 19a had voted to move to other units.

• Like 2

19a is a tough unit. Here is a cow my cousin's boy got opening morning. This is pretty typical of the terrain we find them in. I would spend more time glassing than walking. Get high before daylight and try to catch them moving. Good luck!

post-843-0-40310300-1481111998_thumb.jpg

After being chased, shot at and hunted for 4 months, of course the Elk have changed there behavior. They are in survival mode now.

• Like 2

Go into the country nobody is telling you about. The elk will move into the country they are not being bothered in. It does not have to look like elk country to hold elk this time of year. Glass some transitional areas that mix with desert country you might just be surprised to find them grazing in cactus country.

Look for tracks, thats the most solid evidence you can find that they are in the area. Next step is try to figure out how to glass them up. Once you glass them up you can begin your stalk. Its okay to drive 90 miles in the unit in a single day trying to cut tracks.

There are a few small herds in the far northern part of the unit that wander from the river up into the draws between woodchute mt. and the river. They are always moving and hard to pattern, but their tracks are not hard to find. Look in ranges that are not holding cattle.

19a is a tough unit. Here is a cow my cousin's boy got opening morning. This is pretty typical of the terrain we find them in. I would spend more time glassing than walking. Get high before daylight and try to catch them moving. Good luck!

That kid looks tired!

He was beat. Got up at 3am, hiked for 30min before daylight, then another 45min rough hike to get into range. He did good though. Made an awesome shot and did a lot of work to help get her broke down and packed out.

Didn't get one but hopefully I'll be back at it again next year. Wanna publicly say Kennyt is one great person. He did everything he could to help me get one.