Sign in to follow this  
Rumhunter84

Sightron scopes ?

Chris I will highly advise you not to buy a sightron, they are horrible in every aspect. In fact don't don't waste your money, let me buy the scope 50% off for you and I'll put it on one of my rigs. Seriously I would not want a fellow CW member go through the pain that every one here had to go through. PM me in how I can help you out so I can receive the discount!!! Thanks bud, like I said DON'T do it man, let me do it for you!!!!

Sightron has some of the BEST tracking scopes on the market. I have had valdada, nightforce, vortex and non compare to the perfect tracking of sightron. Again I am not saying nightforce or any other military brand is bad. They are repeatable but the scopes I tested were not 1.047 moa when tested sightron had the least amount of error. Vortex had the most error. I do not see the point of having a 4 lbs scope with zero stop illumination for hunting for military and PRS matches ya but not for hunting. I want lightweight and perfect tracking. I have the siii 6-24x50 LRMOA sfp, i also have siii 6-24x50 ffp moa, and the stac 4-20x50 moa scope. I have never had one fail me. I have always had great luck with customer service. I was also told by their CS that if anything goes wrong that they would cover it no ifs ands or buts. I love that they have a custom shop that if you want your exposed turret on the windage side capped they can do that for you. I sold all my 2000.00 scopes for the sightrons and would not go back unless I was deployed. Here is the test I did awhile back.

The Sightron SIII 6-24X50 FFP LRMOA scope review.

I am not to great on wording reviews so hang in there with me.

I have owned a lot of scopes from Valdada, Nightforce, Nikon, Vortex PST, Vipers, Diamondback, Leupold mark 4, ect.

When I saw that the Sightron were light weight, affordable, GREAT tracking, ect I had to get one.

The scope is very lightweight but build very well 25oz.

It does not have a zero stop but does have revolution marks.

post-2094-0-65687900-1481472308.jpg

Optical clarity surpasses most expectations. Tracking is by far the best tracking scope IMO built. The retical is so accurate with the spot in the center

post-2094-0-29567300-1481472320.jpg

Okay here is what sold me on the scopes besides weight.

The Valdada I had an Nightforce were all great scopes but the weight and tracking ability are nothing like this scope.

I did a tall target test at 100 yards. A tall target test is where you measure out from end of barrel to 100 yards (or 300 feet) with a long butt tape measure. LOL. You have to be precise in this measurement or you will not know if your data is correct. You then put up a tall target (50") and draw a vertical and horizontal line with a level.

post-2094-0-90722600-1481472278.jpg

You will then need to make sure the targets vertical line is leveled when securing it down.

Next you fire 3 rounds at your target at the bottom (which is your aiming spot) and make sure the gun hit PERFECTLY center. Forgot to mention you have to also make sure your scope LEVEL is plumed perfectly if it is off by 1 degree this tall target test will let you know. Then dial up the scope 30 moa. Making sure your gun and scope is level fire 3 rounds at the same spot you did the first time but your shots of course will be 30 moa higher and should be on the line. If your shots are off to one side or the other then your level is off. You then measure from bottom 3 round shots to the top 3 round shots. This measurement is then calculated.

example:

1.047 is a true MOA

Range (100 yards) X Elevation dialed (30 moa) X Constant (.01047 moa) = expected POI 31.41"

next calculation:

Expected POI (31.41") / actual (31.75") = What your scope actually tracks (.98929134 moa)

So here shows you that your scope is .98929134 moa and not 1.047 moa.

So you are more than 1% which is fine but you need to put this data into your ballistics app so it will compensate for your adjustments if not you will miss a shot at 1000+ yards.

So now get this I have done this test multiple times on all my scopes and Sightron was only 1% off. Some will hate me for this but its in the data and a fact that the scopes I tested were all more than 2%: Valdada 3%, Nightforce NXS 4%, Vortex PST 6%, ect.

This may not be the issue with all scopes but as soon as I tested the Sightron and seen the numbers, clarity, parallax ability, weight, ect I knew these scopes were a GREAT buy. So I did just that buy buy buy. I now have 4 of the Sightron and all are within 1% tracking perfection. I sold ALL my other scopes and went with Sightron because once you try them you will understand what I mean plus I saved a lot of money. Sightron claims to have the industry leading EXACT TRAC and they are not lying. But it does not have a zero stop. I could understand if I was in the military or in some matches where I never looked at my scope and just turned it but that is not the case. I know by the revolution indicators where my zero is and it is the same on all my FFP scopes.

Another this to add is you get a lifetime warranty that you will probably never have to use. All my Vortex I have ever owned I had to use the warranty which I do not want to use because I should not HAVE to use it.

Sightron also offers a custom shop for your scope to change stuff. Lets say you do not like the exposed turrets on the windage and want a cap they will do that for you.

One more thing to add the FFP comes with 80 moa of adjustment (thats what sightron states) but believe it or not all 3 of mine came with 91 moa.

On the SFP I have it comes with 100 moa of adjustment (thats what sightron states) but again mine came with 107 moa.

Also you get flip up end caps and a scope shade.

Turrets are adjustable to zero.

Comes with a generous eye relief also.

If you are hesitating to get one dont! Get one as fast as possible you will LOVE it.

Hope all this makes since I know I get to babbling but its hard for me to put into words my thoughts...

Feel free to ask me any questions about any of the parts. I really do my homework and love researching.

• Like 5

I have the SIII 8-32×56 lrmoa and I love it. The glass is extremely clear, the reticle is thin enough to not cover up the target. As I turn the magnification to the high end of the range the picture looses clarity, but to me that seems normal. I generally shoot it at 24x and it is much clearer there than my brothers vortex viper at 20x.

I don't have that problem. Mine works perfect. but I have the Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50 LR FFP. Are you adjusting your side focus accordingly to target distance?

It's only as I get very close to max magnification in lower light situations, I guess I wasn't very clear about that. Yes I am adjusting according to distance. 24x is pretty high for hunting anyhow, I really haven't seen the need to max it out in a hunting situation. To be clear I wouldn't hesitate to buy this scope again.

What is the OP's budget? That is the biggest determining factor.

I think that glass is probably 30% of a shooting system's accuracy potential. I can't see spending $3000+ on a rifle and putting mediocre glass on it. I would take a mediocre gun with a good piece of glass over a great gun with mediocre glass. You can't hit what you can't see. And you can't hit first shot with a scope that doesn't track or is repeatable.

Look at Precision Rifle Blog "What the Pro's Use" for info on a lot of scopes.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/18/best-tactical-scopes-and-reticles/

• Like 1

Lots of funny stuff on this thread. Hilarious in fact.

Those that want to get rid of their Nightforce in favor of their Sightron just let me know....

• Like 3

Math question. What is 4 percent of one MOA at 1000yds?

.042? I don't get the reason for the question. Care to explain?

^^^^ what he said

lance, I read that article and was a little surprised by the Bushnell since everyone seems to be down on them. By the talk on some of the tactical sites you would also think the SWFA SS is built with a bit of magic. I have a little suspicion that Vortex and Nightforce spend a bit more sponsoring and catering to this crowd.

Don't get me wrong I want a Razor II!

• Like 1

I think that glass is probably 30% of a shooting system's accuracy potential. I can't see spending $3000+ on a rifle and putting mediocre glass on it. I would take a mediocre gun with a good piece of glass over a great gun with mediocre glass. You can't hit what you can't see. And you can't hit first shot with a scope that doesn't track or is repeatable.

Look at Precision Rifle Blog "What the Pro's Use" for info on a lot of scopes.http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/18/best-tactical-scopes-and-reticles/

So what do you think about sigtron ?

Look at Precision Rifle Blog "What the Pro's Use" for info on a lot of scopes.http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/18/best-tactical-scopes-and-reticles/

I don't own one, and have not spent more than a few rounds behind one, so I cannot say either way.

I can vouch for a few other scopes and their quality, or lack thereof.

SWFA HD. Amazing for the price point. Crazy tough, repeatable, good clicks, tracks true, good glass. Very stiff parallax adjustment and mag ring, lack of zero stop, and locking turrets leave a bit to be desired.

Vortex Razor Gen I. Good features, zero stop, good reticle, super tough, illuminated reticle, best warranty in the biz if needed, decent glass. No locking turrets, and weight are a bit of an inconvenience. Zero stop and zero set is super slick. You can set zero between clicks for a perfect zero. Good price point too.

Steiner T5Xi. Feature richas. Low profile turrets, second rotation indicator is cool, awesome reticle (SCR), illuminated reticle w. visible daytime illumination, repeatable, tracks true (now), decent glass (now). I got one of the first run batches, and had issues with it. Sent it back twice, and now it is much better. I still find it hard to suggest though with the issues I had. Price isn't bad for the features you get. Best warranty no questions forever.

Schmidt & Bender PMII. The pinnacle gold standard of optics. I have the 3-20x50 w. H2CMR reticle, and my only complaint is the reticle is hard to see at 3x being a FFP scope. Glass is freakishly clear and color is true. Edge to edge crystal clear. MTC is good to keep you tracking, but going to .1 above or below takes some getting used to. Lockable turrets are great on a hunting rig that sees a pack a lot. 30 year warranty that you will probably never use. Zero stop, 2nd rotation indicator, etc is all top notch. Not cheap...at all.

Kahles K624i. Probably my favorite scope, even over my S&B. Glass is on part with the S&B, color seems to really pop. Turrets are fantastic. Tracks perfect, and repeatable. Super tough. The SKMR is my favorite reticle I have ever seen for precise work. Second rotation indicator, zero stop is rock solid, awesome illumination. Reticle is easily visible from 6x to 24x without getting too big or too small. Pricey, but cheaper than S&B or Tangent Theta.

Nightforce ATACR F1. Glass is decent for the price. Reticle selection is limited but is OK. Tracks decent, and repeatable. Great durability. Good feeling turrets. I personally was not overwhelmed by the scope, but it is a good one.

Leupold Mark 6. I was not impressed with this scope for the price at all. The one I brief had did not track true, clarity was so-so. I have heard of many failures similar to what I encountered. I would not own another Leupold unless.I get a great price on a Mark 8.

Vortex Viper PST. I don't own one, but have a lot of time behind them. For the price, not bad. Cheapish, crazy lightweight, decent reticle. Seems to track OK and repeatable. Glass is adequate, but not "wow". Illuminated reticle, good warranty that you might need. A good starter scope for a first timer.

Burris XTR II. Like the Kmart special of the Steiner T5Xi. A little less features, a little less glass quality. But half the price of the Steiner. Decent glass, great reticle (SCR).

• Like 3

I don't own one, and have not spent more than a few rounds behind one, so I cannot say either way.

I can vouch for a few other scopes and their quality, or lack thereof.

SWFA HD. Amazing for the price point. Crazy tough, repeatable, good clicks, tracks true, good glass. Very stiff parallax adjustment and mag ring, lack of zero stop, and locking turrets leave a bit to be desired.

Vortex Razor Gen I. Good features, zero stop, good reticle, super tough, illuminated reticle, best warranty in the biz if needed, decent glass. No locking turrets, and weight are a bit of an inconvenience. Zero stop and zero set is super slick. You can set zero between clicks for a perfect zero. Good price point too.

Steiner T5Xi. Feature richas. Low profile turrets, second rotation indicator is cool, awesome reticle (SCR), illuminated reticle w. visible daytime illumination, repeatable, tracks true (now), decent glass (now). I got one of the first run batches, and had issues with it. Sent it back twice, and now it is much better. I still find it hard to suggest though with the issues I had. Price isn't bad for the features you get. Best warranty no questions forever.

Schmidt & Bender PMII. The pinnacle gold standard of optics. I have the 3-20x50 w. H2CMR reticle, and my only complaint is the reticle is hard to see at 3x being a FFP scope. Glass is freakishly clear and color is true. Edge to edge crystal clear. MTC is good to keep you tracking, but going to .1 above or below takes some getting used to. Lockable turrets are great on a hunting rig that sees a pack a lot. 30 year warranty that you will probably never use. Zero stop, 2nd rotation indicator, etc is all top notch. Not cheap...at all.

Kahles K624i. Probably my favorite scope, even over my S&B. Glass is on part with the S&B, color seems to really pop. Turrets are fantastic. Tracks perfect, and repeatable. Super tough. The SKMR is my favorite reticle I have ever seen for precise work. Second rotation indicator, zero stop is rock solid, awesome illumination. Reticle is easily visible from 6x to 24x without getting too big or too small. Pricey, but cheaper than S&B or Tangent Theta.

Nightforce ATACR F1. Glass is decent for the price. Reticle selection is limited but is OK. Tracks decent, and repeatable. Great durability. Good feeling turrets. I personally was not overwhelmed by the scope, but it is a good one.

Leupold Mark 6. I was not impressed with this scope for the price at all. The one I brief had did not track true, clarity was so-so. I have heard of many failures similar to what I encountered. I would not own another Leupold unless.I get a great price on a Mark 8.

Vortex Viper PST. I don't own one, but have a lot of time behind them. For the price, not bad. Cheapish, crazy lightweight, decent reticle. Seems to track OK and repeatable. Glass is adequate, but not "wow". Illuminated reticle, good warranty that you might need. A good starter scope for a first timer.

Burris XTR II. Like the Kmart special of the Steiner T5Xi. A little less features, a little less glass quality. But half the price of the Steiner. Decent glass, great reticle (SCR).

Pretty dang good sum up.

I'm a huge SWFA and Nightforce fan.

SWFA for the win. A zero stop can be made from a rubber hose gasket and is far, far and away the best scope for the money. All I wear on my rigs...

I guess I'm one of those guys that sold my Nightforce and replaced it with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50. The Sightron sits on my custom 6.5-06 AI. It wasn't that the Nightforce NXS was bad at all, it just didn't fit this rifle. My 300 RUM stills wears a Nightforce NXS and my 338 Lapua Imp. wears a Nightforce ATACR. So obviously, I love Nightforce - but they are not necessarily a good fit for every rifle. For me, the weight of the rifle can have a big impact on my choice. The 300 and the 338 weigh between 12-13 lbs each, so a 2 lb scope feels like nothing at all.

The 6.5-06 rifle weighs about 8 lbs. The 2 lb Nighforce NXS just made the rifle a little too 'top heavy' for my taste. A rifle needs to feel balanced in the hand. For this particular gun, I needed a lighter scope. It came down to Leupold, Vortex or Sightron. I have owned several of each (higher end models) For me, theSightron was the best moderate weight scope for the money in terms of glass, and repeatability when dialing up & down. Six years later, the Sightron is still on rifle with zero complaints from me.

50% off is a great deal. Buy it and try it. You could always sell it used for what you paid for it at some later date.

• Like 1