Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Gunna Get him this year

So some of you may remember my previous post over the past three years about this one deer that I've chased for the past three years.

I started bow hunting three years ago, and glassed up this one buck in my first season. I thought wow this is easy. Three years later I've had a tone of fun with this buck, but he or his ladies bust me every time.

I find him in the same bowl canyon every year. Tons of exit avenues for him and of course same with entry points. Good mix of dense cover and open spots and the dang wind swirls like its at the hand of witches.

Over the years Ive set cameras and never seen him in the non rut season, I think he comes off a large mountain a couple miles away. he's is a mule deer. at around 4500 ft. Juniper country.

I usually spot and stalk, and I'm getting a lot better but I still suck. I've tried to pattern him so I could ambush him but there are no patterns. There are a couple directions I've seen him come from but its still random.

So I'll be out this weekend to look for him, hunt doesn't start in the area until 1/1. I hope he made it through the year.

Couple questions.

Do most of you think I should stay with the spot and stalk? its more fun. But I think I'd have more success on an ambush. just don't know where to set.

Also, I have a few areas in the bowl I like to set up from, one is kinda in the middle and I'm afraid if I go in under dark I'll bust the whole bowl. Any thoughts on coming in grey light and glassing my way into a middle spot vs going in blind in the dark?

I can also glass from the higher canyon wall on first light and then make my way in. I really want to get to this middle knoll because there are good cuts for me to work out of in all directions to stalk.

but its lower so I lose some advantage there.

anyway, just fishing for any tips from experienced hunters. I cant wait to get out again and chase this deer. I hope he make the season

I'd probably opt for as little human scent in the area as possible, especially since you don't know what direction he will ve coming from.

I bet there is a pattern. Take good notes, does he come from a certain direction based on the wind that day, does he always leave the bowl into the wind? I would look for those type of things. Good LUCK!!

reddog

• Like 1

Don't make a try on him unless you have him in a perfect spot. The least amount of bothering him or the does the more chance you will get the perfect set up.

does approaching from top or bottom ever make a big difference? or is wind and cover primary? I think I could deal with just him its the 6 to 9 does he's running with. I think I'd have a better chance if I could hunt him in December during early rut. last couple years by jan he has had a good crew already

I've got nothing to offer by way of advise, but just keep in mind that the lasting memory of chasing the same buck three years running will stay with you forever.

Tag it or not...great "continuing" story!

Can't wait to see how this plays out in year four...lol.

Good luck.

• Like 3

I've got nothing to offer by way of advise, but just keep in mind that the lasting memory of chasing the same buck three years running will stay with you forever.

Tag it or not...great "continuing" story!

Can't wait to see how this plays out in year four...lol.

Good luck.

I know what you mean. I'm going back looking for a buck I've seen in January 2 years in a row. Probably my fondest hunting memories so far