Speedy

Trophy and Meat Care? Gutless?

Never killed one before and I'll be doing a solo hunt in a few weeks, not sure if I want to just do a euro on the skull or a full shoulder mount (depends on the size and I'm not going to be too picky). Either way I want to make sure the meat is good so what tips beyond what is in the sticky do I need to know? I won't be able to take the javi to a car wash or be able to hoist up a tree so might have to skin on the ground. Does the gutless method work? Based on what I've read so far I'm bringing a bunch of rubber gloves!

Also any good taxidermists in Tuscon area? It will likely be cheaper to leave it there than drag the skull and cape home and find someone here who can do a decent job.

The gutless method worked for me on Monday.

They are no diferant than any other 4 legged critter

• Like 2

Yeah, bring a lot of gloves. Try to avoid touching the meat after touching their hair. Change gloves as much as you need to.

• Like 1

The only way I can see if you want to gut it out is to get ribs and tenderloin. Not much rib meat on deer and I can't imagine there are more on Javis and the tenderloin on deer are just a couple of bites so I don't bother. Gutless method is the way to go. No reason to stick your arm up an animal chest and cut the esophagus for bits and pieces of meat. The only thing I will hang up and gut is elk. Lots of meat worth while.

Do you guys carry any wet ones or something to clean up with to keep the stink off the meat? I'm usually pretty paranoid about keeping meat clean but never dealt with a stinky.

I usually have some wet wipes at the truck. An extra water bottle usually does the trick for me. I think your probably over thinking this. As long as you keep the meat as clean as possible you will be fine. If you want to get the tendorloins you can cut them out after getting the back straps. Just be carfull not to cut the gut sack. There are a bunch of great video's on youtube that explain the gutless method. It's very simple!

• Like 2

I didn't read all the other responses so this might have already been said but even if you do a shoulder mount, you should still have a euro done. The skull is not needed for a shoulder mount.

• Like 1

The best part about pig hunting .......Is not getting one.

I would rather pay for and draw a trophy "rabbit tag" than kill a javelina.

The best part about pig hunting .......Is not getting one.

I didnt put in for the draw, but for some dumb reason I bought a leftover.

• Like 1

Yep, and of course I have another HAM tag this year. I'm going to scare them with my 460XVR this time. Showered a pig in dirt with it a few years ago.