Elmacho

Expert Opinion

How long did it take to accumulate 19 points

I'm going out on a limb, but I would guess 17 years.
Thats a long limb.
That's what she said
Bragger

If your wife had 15pts for an elk hunt....what unit/hunt?

At 15 points, do you only put in for your top 2?

If you have a child or grand child that is a minor and can hunt why not apply with them for any hunt you think they might enjoy? Buy point guard. If you get drawn, turn in your tag and get your points back plus a point for this year. Then go enjoy hunting with your family.

You are most likely not going to draw a primo unit 9 or 23 early rifle with 19 points this year anyway. My recommendation allows you to use your points twice rather than once. Get the most value for your points that you can.

When you do draw, I recommend you treat yourself to the hunt of lifetime. If that means hiring a guide or taking the entire season off for a DIY, then do it. You earned it and the time & money saved over all these years justifies treating yourself well.

Good luck & Good Hunting

this might be wrong but I have always read and been told that in AZ the peak of the rut is on average considered to be Oct 1 which is right in the middle of that hunt.

I have always hunted elk in the archery season. I learned years ago if I could only get one week off for the hunt take the second week, later in September. The calendar definitely effects the rut. My opinion is that the weather also plays a major role. On hunts where the weather cools down early the rut seems to heat up sooner.