GreyGhost85

Anyone reloading for a .264 win mag?

I have reloaded for them quite a bit in the past, but sold mine a few years back and just finally got another one. I know it's a round not many people shoot (not sure why) but was wondering what kind of powders people are shooting? The barrel on mine might not be twisted fast enough for 140+gn ( in 9), but i am going to to try 143 eldx and 130 eld. i have a lot of H1000 powder and was hoping to shoot it. My last .264, i shot H4831 with pretty good results. I figure H1000 will be good for a 140+ gn bullet but might be a little slow burning for a 130? any insight is appreciated.

Of all the stories I've read it seems like 1 out of every 5 barrels that is the wrong twist seems like it will shot that bullet with no problems. Then Im reading about guys who are shooting the 6.5 CM shooting the 148 ELD-M which on the box says 1:7 but these guys have 1:8's and quite of few of them are shooting lights out. 1:8s work best for 140's but who knows it could work out really sweet for you! The loading part I have know idea. But Ill enjoy reading about the loads that end up being posted here. Good luck and let us know how it all pans out.

• Like 1

I don't have any experience reloading the cartridge. I just wanted to see a picture of the rifle.

• Like 2

It's a beauty for sure. When i get her all put together with scope/rings/bases I'll post some up.

Just fill it right to the top with W296 and squish it down in there with the longest bullet you can get. Make sure it's a magnum primer as that helps push the bullet out faster. This is critical as you need to get the bullet out as fast as possible as the gun is going to blow up.

• Like 1

I load for my 257 Weatherby with H1000 and 115gr bullets. I use 264 Win Mag & 7mm Rem Mag cases to make my cases for the weatherby. So I am not exactly shooting 264, but something close. My gun LOVES H1000 with Berger HVLD's. It will consistently shoot them sub-moa with the load I worked up.

The gun also shot well with IMR4831, but not like H1000.

Once I burn the barrel out on this rifle I have seriously considered a rebarrel in 264 Win Mag, but I do love my quarter bore...

264 win mag is a round that should be a monster especially in this day in age of the 6.5 love, but it still just doesn't catch on and I don't know why.

I am not sure why the .264 hasn't gained any ground in recent years with 6.5 craze that has been happening. We have always had a couple in the family. the round was introduced in the late 50's, believe it or not, and quickly earned the reputation of being a "barrel burner" because it was one of the first real magnum rounds and it never really got past it's initial reputation. It is probably no worse than most of the big magnums in that aspect anymore and has to be a lot better on barrel life than the 26 Noslers or 6.5x300 wby's that have become so popular.

I love how people won't jump on board with a round because it is "barrel burner" but how many people have actually burned out a barrel? Very few realistically.

I know at some point I will burn the barrel on my 257 weatherby, but I have probably 800 rounds down it sofar and it is going fine. If/when I burn out that barrel, that will be the first 1 I have ever burned out.

• Like 1

i would guess in the ballpark of 1000 in a .264. My dad burned one out in a 300 win mag in less than that though.

You shoot stout loads though. Some of those reloads you sent me look like they are pretty beefed up. My load is probably more comparable to a hot 25-06 or lighter 257 weatherby mag load.

100-125 of my round count is fire forming loads too that are lighter loads to form my cases. I use 7mm Rem mag cases mostly (and have use 264 win mag cases too) to make my brass.

The case capacity on my 6.5 WSM is real close to the 264WM. In addition to the H1000, you might try Ramshot Magnum powder.

Have you used a tight patch and cleaning rod to measure your twist?

If it were me I would start with the 130 gr Swift Scirocco over a healthy dose of RL-22.