Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Millenials..

I hate to associate myself with the "Millennial" generation due to all the negative connotations that comes with it but... you just have to think for a second. Who's fault is it that the growing generation is addicted to phones, can't change a tire, can't bait a hook, wouldn't know where to start if they needed to change their oil. These were all skills my father taught me. Video games? My father kicked me out of the house with a baseball bat and a glove and I went and played with my friends down the street. Millennials get allot of crap cause they don't know basic life skills, but it wasn't their generation handing them "Participation Awards" when they were playing T-ball. Just some things to think about... I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on a forum like this, but you got to take an active approach to parenting when it comes to this stuff. Don't let your kids sit on their butts all day in front of the TV.

• Like 8

I hate to associate myself with the "Millennial" generation due to all the negative connotations that comes with it but... you just have to think for a second. Who's fault is it that the growing generation is addicted to phones, can't change a tire, can't bait a hook, wouldn't know where to start if they needed to change their oil. These were all skills my father taught me. Video games? My father kicked me out of the house with a baseball bat and a glove and I went and played with my friends down the street. Millennials get allot of crap cause they don't know basic life skills, but it wasn't their generation handing them "Participation Awards" when they were playing T-ball. Just some things to think about... I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on a forum like this, but you got to take an active approach to parenting when it comes to this stuff. Don't let your kids sit on their butts all day in front of the TV.

Now that is what I call an effective counter assault.

• Like 1

I was literally upset that I technically fall into this group, just barely. I didn't realize they lumped me with this group til about 6 months ago. I was literally upset.

I may be a city boy, and I didn't have a ton of good quality training on how to hunt or do things mechanically, but I did receive some of the basics from my dad.

I took the basics and expanded my knowledge. First in mechanical things like auto mechanics, reloading, general repair. Then welding and fabrication. Now I am working on hunting. I will honestly say I am more of a jack of all trades, master of none.

Alot of the issues of the younger kids is lack of work ethic and expecting people or machines to do it for them. This starts with parenting, or lack of.

They are told to work smarter, not harder. They are told everyone needs to go to college to be anything. Trade schools are almost dead, and they don't respect a tradesman or a hard days work.

Hard work and half a brain will get you a long way. I have worked my way from the bottom of a profession to the top several times with nothing more than a high school diploma.

• Like 1

P.s. Mike Rowe is the voice people need to be hearing these days. Not actors, politicians, and singers. They have no sense of the real word. People like Mike Rowe speak the plain honest truth, but nobody wants to listen to truth anymore.

May not be the most liberal attitude, but I don't see this as the worst thing in the world. My children know how to do these things through a combination of our camping, hunting, fishing, boy scouts, etc. or are still learning them. Heaven forbid some disaster should happen. But should it, they will know to and how to get out of the craziness of the city and head to the hills for safety while the lazy, entitled, know-it-all millennials let natural selection take its course.

I am very grateful for millenials. Without them and their months of real world experience I would have no clue as to how everything really should be. I agree with them that they should be GIVEN everything due to all that they have contributed to society.

They've earned it.

I was literally upset that I technically fall into this group, just barely. I didn't realize they lumped me with this group til about 6 months ago. I was literally upset.

I may be a city boy, and I didn't have a ton of good quality training on how to hunt or do things mechanically, but I did receive some of the basics from my dad.

I took the basics and expanded my knowledge. First in mechanical things like auto mechanics, reloading, general repair. Then welding and fabrication. Now I am working on hunting. I will honestly say I am more of a jack of all trades, master of none.

Alot of the issues of the younger kids is lack of work ethic and expecting people or machines to do it for them. This starts with parenting, or lack of.

They are told to work smarter, not harder. They are told everyone needs to go to college to be anything. Trade schools are almost dead, and they don't respect a tradesman or a hard days work.

Hard work and half a brain will get you a long way. I have worked my way from the bottom of a profession to the top several times with nothing more than a high school diploma.

^^^

This right here... I'm 34 so I think I missed the whole Millennial generation but I hear and see a lot of them and you do hear a lot of " work smart not hard " from their generation... Totally opposite of how I was raised..

The sad part for you, like myself is you are technically a millennial too...

Work Smarter and Harder should be the slogan...

• Like 1

The sad part for you, like myself is you are technically a millennial too...

Work Smarter and Harder should be the slogan...

The whole " American Dream " is based off hard work ...You can still make it in this country if you work hard ...

I'm sitting here waiting for 2 millenials to show up to work. Constantly late, and lazy. If it was up to me, both would be fired.

I have been late to work, once, in the last few years. These guys would be late to their own funeral.

Watch the netflix documentary The Sixties........it will help you understand alot about why we are where we are today..........

The same hippies that were anti government back then are the same liberals that want government to control their life today it seems

• Like 1

May not be the most liberal attitude, but I don't see this as the worst thing in the world. My children know how to do these things through a combination of our camping, hunting, fishing, boy scouts, etc. or are still learning them. Heaven forbid some disaster should happen. But should it, they will know to and how to get out of the craziness of the city and head to the hills for safety while the lazy, entitled, know-it-all millennials let natural selection take its course.

Yeah. The kids know what to do if the lights go out. I imagine most contributors kids on this site know similar. One Second After should be mandatory reading in schools. (At least mentioned)

Less than a third have caught a fish and almost half have never been camping... Unreal. First thing that comes to my mind is "WTF do these people live for?"

I help with the boy scouts in our community, and while I'm not a huge fan of the organization, I feel it gives these kids some exposure to important things. These are 12 and 13 year olds and they can't tie on a swivel or hook or make their own fire and tinfoil dinners. The group we have right now either don't have a dad at home or their dads don't seem to spend much time with them and show them the finer things in life. I feel tremendously blessed that I had a dad who took me on fishing and hunting trips when I was a kid. I think if there were more dads out there like mine and you guys, we wouldn't have near the problems we see with youth today.

Like you Im with the Boy Scouts as well and for 3 years I was over the 12-13 year old, and now Im over the 14-15 years old (Varsity Scouts). Like you Im not a huge fan of the Scout organization either even though Im an Eagle Scout myself but Scouts is way different these days then it was in the 90's and earlier for that matter. Lot more Red tape and everything, basically you can't do anything these days. Scouts is a place for kids who's dads don't take them hunting or camping. Plus they don't even know the difference because now adays every out door activity is like a class room. What happen to being out doors catching a fish and gutting there and cooking it over the fire with sticks??

Had the boys on a campout and handed them an ax and said chop us some wood for the fire! They said they never chopped wood before and don't know how. WHAT!???! I had to go back to the basics and reteach them where the best fire wood is at, how to chop wood and start fires and these boys were in scouts for almost 2 years. It was at this time I realize that scouts was no longer the same when I grew up. We are given these little princess boys that really don't want to be there and talk more about video games.. We have failed these boys on what it is of being a man and loving the outdoors. Ill tell you my secret now regarding what I do in scouts!!!! I don't care about these kids Eagle anymore. I focus on real work, loving the out doors including fishing, shooting, going to camp sites on purpose that takes 4WD ( I had one boy said it was more fun then a roller coaster). I want them to see and enjoy what I enjoyed growing up and this was 100 times more important then an Eagle Badge!!