Sign in to follow this  
Tac

rear rifle support question

I use my back pack, short bipod, and what ever else I find as a rifle rest was looking into the common rear rifle supports people are using. I keep looking at a trigger stick short bipod but have not bought one. any good suggestions?

I carry a small bean bag that I put in the top half of my fist. I put the hand under the stock and slide it back and forth under the taper on the stock to rough adjust the sight picture. Fine tuning is achieved by squeezing or releasing your grip on the bag. It is cheap and light but obviously only works prone, not sitting.

• Like 1

When my son started hunting, I started carrying one of these. I removed the cheap plastic clip and replaced it with a carabiner and can clip it to the pack. I believe it is filled with corn cob media and is pretty light weight. It has made a big difference. When combining this with a Harris bipod. If needed, I have been able to locate and put cross hairs on an animal for him and step away without the rifle moving. Sliding the stock back and forth in the v-grove lets you micro adjust elevation, which is pretty helpful.
post-6408-0-08268900-1486737403.jpg

• Like 2

Yes I already am carrying a rear bag it works great was thinking more in a situation that has taller grass or from seated position

Yes I already am carrying a rear bag it works great was thinking more in a situation that has taller grass or from seated position

Gotcha. If you are already carrying a tripod, it is hard to beat a triclawps in the situations you suggest. I keep one of these in my pack as well.

http://www.triclawps.com/product-category/triclawps/

I was gonna buy a medium kifaru 500d pullout. It weighs 1.5 oz. any idea what I could fill it with?

Most brass tumbling media (corn cob, walnut shell, etc. would be a good option. Moldable and very light.

• Like 1

For a rear support, I have used a Pole Cat with the leg height pre-adjusted for a sitting position.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/144087/primos-pole-cat-short-bipod-shooting-stick

I was gonna buy a medium kifaru 500d pullout. It weighs 1.5 oz. any idea what I could fill it with?

You might try some plastic hobby pellets

• Like 2

^^^That's what I use ^^^. It is multipurpose. I use it as a walking/glassing stick, fully extended, and it is ready to go for a standing shot. I also use it as a rear rest, fully collapsed. December I used it this way, sitting position, with my upright pack as the front rest, polecat for rear rest. It was a little too tall so I had to lean it rearward a bit. It was very steady....enough to shoot my buck bedded at 375 yds.

When back pack hunting I use the rear rifle rest on my Outdoorsman's tripod set up. It works great. When weight isn't as much as an issue I've been happy with a large tripod and the TriClawps.

I've shot well with each. I have a poor time finding a place to shoot prone in Coues country.

My buddy Scott with my rifle and outdoorsman set up a few years ago.

IMG00108-20091027-1055_zpsyc0ephmv.jpg

If you don't want to carry anything extra, or clamp your rifle down inside of anything, take a look at the second generation Rifle Railz. It only weighs 3 ounces and uses the existing factory mounts on your rifle when you install it. You can then attach your rifle directly to your tripod. There are several members here that have been using this mount for years with great success. Check it out. You can purchase one in the coues whitetail store. David

https://aristotle-engineering.com/products/rifle-railz-gen-2-tripod-mount/