Sign in to follow this  
hoghntr

UPDATED!!! Who in phoenix still makes game meat sausage? 2 i used no longer take game

I do my own processing but am going to give Millers a free plug since they have chosen to process game harvested thru Hunts 4 Heroes, free of charge.

• Like 5

Edge, I agree (didn't mean to slight Miller's; the shop is just farther away). Everything Mike's crew does is top shelf! And yes, he donates the meat processing for Hunts for Heroes vets free-of-charge. Makes him kind of a hero too!

• Like 2

Not Phoenix but Von Hansons in Chandler does good work as does Millers in Queen Creek.

Agree- but they are not cheap.

• Like 1

I usually do my own processing but a few years ago I decided I wanted something defferent so I took 62 lbs of clean ready to grind elk meat to Von Hanson's. I had some summer sausage and sticks made. It was very good but I about sh!t a brick when I was told it was $400 plus. :o They are expensive but good. :)

TJ

• Like 1

I usually do my own processing but a few years ago I decided I wanted something defferent so I took 62 lbs of clean ready to grind elk meat to Von Hanson's. I had some summer sausage and sticks made. It was very good but I about sh!t a brick when I was told it was $400 plus. :o They are expensive but good. :)

TJ

L.O.L. yes I fear what our little 32.5lbs of meat is gonna turn into $

Another plug for Miller's, Mike does a great job making your trophy pleasing to the palate. Brother Mark does a great job making your trophy pleasing to the eye.

Ok so Von Hansens won. I took in 32.5lbs of javelina ready to grind.. In return I got some 58lbs of chorizo, spicy cheese summer (not really Spicey at all), hotter than He__ jalapeno cheddar brats.

So the Spicey cheese summer that is stamped hot all over it is not hot at all BUT IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! I sorta wish I had it all turned into this. Next time I might ask for small amount of jalapeno added not just the Spicey cheese but for real it's so good the added jalapeno would just be to slow me down from eating it all.

Chorizo is great but like all game meat chorizo I have had its like spiced hamburger. Guess it's just hard to make game greasy like normal chorizo. I would do again cuz family enjoys.

The cheddar brats I can't tell you what they taste like cuz so hot I can't feel face after 1st bite. I would do again but would request less dried jalapeno and more cheese.

Can this still be called javelina since it didn't quite double in weight? :)

Grand total....

$261. And change and let's see about 3.5 hours total driving. 😪

Ok so Von Hansens won. I took in 32.5lbs of javelina ready to grind.. In return I got some 58lbs of chorizo, spicy cheese summer (not really Spicey at all), hotter than He__ jalapeno cheddar brats.

So the Spicey cheese summer that is stamped hot all over it is not hot at all BUT IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! I sorta wish I had it all turned into this. Next time I might ask for small amount of jalapeno added not just the Spicey cheese but for real it's so good the added jalapeno would just be to slow me down from eating it all.

Chorizo is great but like all game meat chorizo I have had its like spiced hamburger. Guess it's just hard to make game greasy like normal chorizo. I would do again cuz family enjoys.

The cheddar brats I can't tell you what they taste like cuz so hot I can't feel face after 1st bite. I would do again but would request less dried jalapeno and more cheese.

Grand total....

$261. And change and let's see about 3.5 hours total driving.

Thanks for the info. I was just about to ask if anyone has gotten their javelina back yet. Mine is butchered up and still vacuumed sealed in my freezer. I'll run it down there next week.

Grand total....

$261. And change and let's see about 3.5 hours total driving.

Thanks for the info. I was just about to ask if anyone has gotten their javelina back yet. Mine is butchered up and still vacuumed sealed in my freezer. I'll run it down there next week.

I like some generous amounts of heat so use my write up as a guide.

Brats I would tone down heat so can actually taste and so don't burn butt next day.

The summer that I had them do just a hot white cheese in it I would toss a small amount of the dried jalapeno in it SMALL AMOUNT.

chorizo.. Well like I said I have never had game chorizo taste like a Federico greasy gut bustin chorizo burrito so...

When your in there at counter do about face then take 4 or 5 steps to right and look down into the cooler with slim jims and get 1 of the beef with jalapeno spicy cheese they are like 13 or 14$ but they will change your life!!! This is what i was shooting for when I asked him to do my summer same way but my summer lacked any heat but has the flavor. 👍👍

Bumping an old thread here. Just picked up my javelina from Von Hanson's yesterday. Had them process it into the jalapeno cheese bratwurst as hoghntr recommended. Amazing stuff. Put a couple into the sous vide yesterday with a half a beer. Finished them up on the grill. Turned out awesome and will be a good compliment for this weekend's brisket. Washed down with some Santory and was a happy camper. Thanks again for the recommendation. My hound was also pretty happy with the smoked beef shanks they sell.

post-14202-0-04170800-1498839874_thumb.jpg

post-14202-0-09450400-1498839890_thumb.jpg

post-14202-0-39132600-1498839907_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You could of bought a good grinder and stuffer for what you paid for all that. I make all my brats and hot italian sausage. My friend just started doing his own summer sausage and snack sticks and Oh That Guy has got it figured out. Glad you like your products.

it's not hard to do, I've used a $100 grinder and $25 book for 18 years, saved a lot of money

and since you're doing it you can make your chorizo as lean or greasy as you want it, just add more fat, most butcher's in the grocery stores will save it for you

buy Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book and follow the recipe(s) the first time or two, then modify to suit your taste

I grew up processing our own beef to multiple elk/deer a year. I actually enjoyed it...

Well my wife let's me do about anything with my mounts, put them all over the house, front room etc...it is full of them. The ONLY thing she doesn't like is her kitchen table/counter being used as a meat processing shop. It is worth a little extra money to me to make sure she is happy.

I'll never cast judgement on someone that doesn't do it themselves.

• Like 2