J.S.R.

300 win mag bullet options?

It seems people are having more luck getting the 200 grain ELDX to shoot good groups than the 212 grain.

I have been trying to a load for the 212 in my 300 WM and its frustrating.

Maybe Ill try some 200 ELDx.

I got the 212 ELD-X to throw a decent group

I loaded up some 5 shot groups starting at 1/2 grain higher and going up .3 grains per group than my previous best group and set the bullets a little deeper.

The first 3 shots are the clover leaf at the bottom right of the group. It started walking up as the barrel got warmer. Or it could have been the guy next to me shooting some sort of earth shaking cannon that had me jumpy.

300 WM

77 grains H1000

.05 off lands

post-331-0-52298400-1490384259_thumb.jpg

I got the 212 ELD-X to throw a decent group

I loaded up some 5 shot groups starting at 1/2 grain higher and going up .3 grains per group than my previous best group and set the bullets a little deeper.

The first 3 shots are the clover leaf at the bottom right of the group. It started walking up as the barrel got warmer. Or it could have been the guy next to me shooting some sort of earth shaking cannon that had me jumpy.

300 WM

77 grains H1000

.05 off lands

attachicon.gifIMG_9039.JPG

77 grains of H1000 Im thinking 2800 fps right.

• Like 1

I still have a bunch of 208 Amax that my 300 loves. It has taken 5 deer and antelope with with devastating terminal results at 300 to 620 yards. I had such good luck with it I trusted it for elk last year with a buddy. The exit hole was massive. The only thing is that this shot only ended up being 200 yards and I think a lot of bullets would do well at this range. The best group to date was with the Bergers, but like others have stated, I have concerns with the long range terminal performance. This picture is of the exit hole on the opposite shoulder of the elk after taking the shoulder off.

post-3437-0-86536800-1490478731.jpg

• Like 1

post-331-0-47903800-1491248098_thumb.jpg

Seating the ELD-X deeper by an additional .03" (.075" off lands) had a good result.

4 shot group. Red square is 1x1

post-331-0-47903800-1491248098_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

very cool must be a nice feeling to be able to build a rifle and a load and get it shooting that well.... I say congrats!

Bergers are target bullets, who do you think Walt Berger is; Benchrest Shooter.

If you don't mind bloodshot meat with normal weight bullets and heavy for caliber bullets that don't expand at long range. They are nothing more than match grade varmit bullets with a different name. But lots of folks shoot them, and like ground round a ruined capes as well.

Never experienced any of that. Not bad considering my closest kill is a javelina at about 60 yards with a 28 nosler.

Berger does not recommend their Hybrid line or their Target line of bullets for use on Game. That is the company position as of yesterday. They recommend using only their VLD HUNTING bullets be used on Game.

7mm 180 Hybrid, 662 yards. Dead bull elk, quickly. Cleanly.

20170930_181303_zpsst6tnnvg.jpg

Same bullet. 75 yards (max). Probably closer to 60, but it happened quick. Dead elk. Quickly. Cleanly.

20161015_075527_zpsf1n6cjsw.jpg

.308 215 Hybrid, 432 yards. Dead bull. Instantly. Cleanly.

20161201_171304_zpsqijs6dns.jpg

IMG_0549_zpsvhuej0ns.jpg

.308 215 Hybrid, 210 yards. Dead bull. Quickly, cleanly.

2015-12-03%2022.20.52_zps6hj5dg88.jpg

You won't get much help from a lot of guys on the Berger Hybrid topic. In my opinion, and just mine, one of the best hunting bullets out there. Heavier jacket than the hunting version, better controlled expansion.

It is not Berger's stance just as of yesterday. It has been their stance all along. Same with the Sierra Match King, which kills extremely well also. I could post more photos with those if you want? Why not use a bullet that goes where you want it, and kills extremely well? Just because the box says so?

As for "heavy for caliber that don't expand at long range", that is a laughable statement. I killed 2 coyotes at 1365 yards last year with a Hybrid that knocked them both flat, with a blood pattern you could see from 3/4 mile away!

• Like 2