J.S.R.

300 win mag bullet options?

So I was planning on running 215 Berger hybrids but, I have heard some people had issues with them on smaller game at closer distances. Just wondering what your guys' thoughts are on these bullets for coues? Would I be better off with like a 212 Hornady ELD-X?

I have shot coyotes with them at 100 to 400 yards from my .300RUM, and basically turned them inside out at closer ranges, and put a baseball size exit on the longer ones. Also shot elk with them from 160 to 440 and dropped them on the spot. No issues with them killing anything they hit in the right spot.

• Like 1

Shot and elk and coues with them in the fall, both where impressive

• Like 1

By impressive do you mean lots of meat loss? Just curious as I am working up my new 300 WM. Ive got 200 212 ELD-X Im trying to use but if I cant get them to shoot the 215 or the newer 200.20x Bergers will be my next choice.

I will only be using this 300 for elk. I use my 7RM or 308 for all deer hunting.

Shot two 6x6 elk this yr at 750yrds with the 215. They worked perfect. Both went 25-30yrds. 2845fps at the muzzle.

• Like 1

There is a lot of reports of Bergers not working right as, not expanding at long range, blowing up smaller animals, but also lots of great reports with no issues. I think we hear more of these bullets not working right because I believe most people love to reload with them because they shoot so accurate. Just lot more Bergers out there being shot.

With the ELD-x and ELD-m I haven't heard of any news yet. The ELD-M is supposed to be a new tip on the AMAX and everyone had great reports with the AMAX on game kills. But Im having a hard time to get these ELD's to group .5MOA while its lot easier to get that with Bergers. Im sure if people were shooting these ELDs as much as Bergers we would hear some bad reports. With the Hybrids they are not game bullets so there are really not a lot of reports on them. But the people who do use them on game have had great results from what I read, and I wouldn't have a problem using them on game at all.

I would shoot some of each and see what your gun likes.

I am working on 208gr ELD-M and 210gr Berger HVLD in my 300wm. So far the 208's have shot well. I have not shot many bergers yet in this rifle.

I've shot 2 coues deer with 140 bergers. The first one took two bullets at 350 yds and we could not find him. The second was a deer at 600yds, he took a bullet to the lungs that never expanded and the second shot severed the spinal cord. This was from a 270wsm

By impressive do you mean lots of meat loss? Just curious as I am working up my new 300 WM. Ive got 200 212 ELD-X Im trying to use but if I cant get them to shoot the 215 or the newer 200.20x Bergers will be my next choice.

I will only be using this 300 for elk. I use my 7RM or 308 for all deer hunting.

The elk was hit further back and there was some meat damage, it was a quartering away shot- 430 yds. The coues was center punched and no damage at all-330 yds.

I was worried about using the bullets,I bought the gun and the owner had a load worked up with the 215 Bergers, I didn't have time to have a new load worked up (I don't reload) .... I will just stick with them.

There is a lot of reports of Bergers not working right as, not expanding at long range, blowing up smaller animals, but also lots of great reports with no issues. I think we hear more of these bullets not working right because I believe most people love to reload with them because they shoot so accurate. Just lot more Bergers out there being shot.

With the ELD-x and ELD-m I haven't heard of any news yet. The ELD-M is supposed to be a new tip on the AMAX and everyone had great reports with the AMAX on game kills. But Im having a hard time to get these ELD's to group .5MOA while its lot easier to get that with Bergers. Im sure if people were shooting these ELDs as much as Bergers we would hear some bad reports. With the Hybrids they are not game bullets so there are really not a lot of reports on them. But the people who do use them on game have had great results from what I read, and I wouldn't have a problem using them on game at all.

Because the guys who love them are turning animals inside out under 600 yards shooting big magnums. the longer range shots on smaller game they blow right threw with not enough energy to do massive damage. but elk are thick enough skinned heavier boned the vids open. I'm am sold on using the eldx we have killed elk deer bears all with a 6.5 eldx all in the 700 yards plus the opens the way its suppose to every time. Got to find that happy medium between energy and bullet expansion!

very strange you can't get eldx to group what is your load?

• Like 1

Because the guys who love them are turning animals inside out under 600 yards shooting big magnums. the longer range shots on smaller game they blow right threw with not enough energy to do massive damage. but elk are thick enough skinned heavier boned the vids open. I'm am sold on using the eldx we have killed elk deer bears all with a 6.5 eldx all in the 700 yards plus the opens the way its suppose to every time. Got to find that happy medium between energy and bullet expansion!

very strange you can't get eldx to group what is your load?

Ive been all over with the 300 using the H1000. I got it to 3/4" to 1-1/4" groupings which are not bad but its sensitive. Stray a .5 grain it will not group. Same thing with my 6.5 ELDx they are all over.

H1000 79 grains

0.836 MOA

3,040 fps

After a while barrel was getting thick and caused more pressure up to 3,100 fps. Now am backing off to 77-78 grains and trying to find a load but cant get less then .75 MOA. For the hunting world .75 is great and Im not complaining, but it takes more work to find that sweet spot for these ELDs. Bergers take me half the amount of shooting to find a great load. But Im holding out for these ELDs because for some reason trust them working very well on ELk.

Owens Armory stated well for what i went thru this past year. 3 coues with my 300 win mag with 210 gr berger. Very minimal damage and blood. All shots over 650-800 roughly. Gonna change bullets

It seems people are having more luck getting the 200 grain ELDX to shoot good groups than the 212 grain.

I have been trying to a load for the 212 in my 300 WM and its frustrating.