Healy Arms

Turkey Road Warrior - Ultimate Road Hunting Pro Edition

Road hunters (people who just drive roads looking and listening) irritate the holy he!! out of me. Shooting out of the window is not road hunting. Its poaching/illegal, unless the hunter has a CHAMP permit. Granted, this yahoo probably didn't know Mr. Healy was down there, but to go chasing after a turkey that way? In all the years I've been turkey hunting, I've never seen that work out. I've sat in horror as "hunters" in the vehicle in front of us tried this instead of quietly driving past and setting up ahead of the birds. I was in a similar situation recently and, if not for standing up and waving my arms/whistling, my daughter and I were in the direct line of fire from a trigger happy hunter who had no intention of identifying my decoys.

At the same time, I've been driving from Point A to Point B and happened across our quarry and put on a stalk. But I've never just left my truck running or parked in the middle of a road. And if I ever stumble across another hunter in that endeavor, I certainly won't start yelling and cussing at him/her. I will (have, actually) apologize for messing up their hunt and move on with my hunt.

Road hunting is shooting out the window.

How was your hunt on the Carlos trphyhntr? Was I at least right on the Ding Dong? Or was it a Twinkie?
Dang 16 posts and already stirring the pot.

Turkey hunters are very sensitive it appears.

Did you end up gettIng one Healy

You would think that the people that buy those tags would hunt a little differently and not like the hunter described.

Glad you were able to get your bird anyway.

• Like 1

How was your hunt on the Carlos trphyhntr? Was I at least right on the Ding Dong? Or was it a Twinkie?

Oh yeah - smacked one two or three canyons safely away from The Turkey Commando

And bought a 2018 tag

• Like 3

Listen up Twink, sensitive is not the word you are looking for. It is "ethical" and "respectful" with regards to the animal being pursued. I am both. I once took a sensitivity test in Cosmo at the whim of a girlfriend. According to Cosmo, sensitive is one thing I am not. She put up with it, however, because after the first night, all her neighbors knew my name.

If you're close enough to be bugged by road hunters, maybe just hunt a little farther from the road.

Sounded like the stalk started a little ways from the road. I guess you can't control where those dang birds go which is basically the genesis of every "why did the chicken cross the road joke." Go figure. Unless one is disabled with limited mobility, a guy should be ashamed of driving around eating twinkles and drinking beer while calling out the window.

Uh oh---brought out the ethical card. I sure miss .270 and Nature Girl.

Haha, what the heck is going on? Is this for real?!

Uh oh---brought out the ethical card. I sure miss .270 and Nature Girl.

How does what should be a funny-encounter thread about a sloppy mess of unprepared wannabe turkey hunter, workin' his lazy road hunter tactical skills like a big dog (a true professional) unwind into this?

Lordy Lordy - I don't know 270 and Nature Girl, but I can only imagine if their collective memories are being invoked.

Nothing to gain. Time to holster the keyboard and walk away.....

• Like 2

Listen up Twink, sensitive is not the word you are looking for. It is "ethical" and "respectful" with regards to the animal being pursued. I am both. I once took a sensitivity test in Cosmo at the whim of a girlfriend. According to Cosmo, sensitive is one thing I am not. She put up with it, however, because after the first night, all her neighbors knew my name.
She kept yelling at you to carry out the trash.
  • Like 6

I have had people ride quads through the woods elk hunting before last light, a pickup with bow hunters in the bed driving around making bad cow calls, turkey hunters in the pickup bed with loaded guns driving around. I just sit tight until they leave then climb a hill and kill something. They are everywhere and don't really piss me off.

She kept yelling at you to carry out the trash.

Good one!