COOSEFAN

Late bloomers.....

Hey guys, I'm curious, how many Coues bucks have you seen harvested on the general rifle hunts that were in full velvet? I'm not talking about little spikes and forkies, and I'm not talkin' just fuzz hangin'......I'm talkin' mature 80" plus type bucks in full velvet! I've seen many spikers and ittie bittie forkies still sporting the fuzz late in Oct. but I have never seen a mature 80" type buck in full velvet on the last week in Oct..........until this year! Anyone else seen this? Is it more common than what I'm thinkin'? Thanks, JIM>

None of them were in FULL velvet, but Gabes buck had some velvet on it, and still had blood colored antlers. Two of the other bucks taken in camp had velvet on them also.

Also saw a hunter with a 160" type muley in 36C with velvet on him still.

I know what your talkin about, and I thought it was weird also! :blink:

I have seen 1 and I am sure it is the same one that you are speaking about! Gonna get to see it tomorow in persone to!

To answer your question though I have never seen another buck that size in velvet this late in the season.

Christian, that is the one I'm talkin' about and it's awesome! This buck I'm talkin' about was healthy and had no testicular problems like you would think. It was not a cactus buck, just runnin' behind schedule on his Couesie duties and hadn't started rubbin' yet. Christian, tell that guy to post up some pic's....I've bugged him enough about it! :P JIM>

Christian, that is the one I'm talkin' about and it's awesome! This buck I'm talkin' about was healthy and had no testicular problems like you would think. It was not a cactus buck, just runnin' behind schedule on his Couesie duties and hadn't started rubbin' yet. Christian, tell that guy to post up some pic's....I've bugged him enough about it! :P JIM>

Will do boss!!! I can't wait to see it firsthand!

The two year old 3 X 3 that I killed in 36C last year still had velvet shreds hanging on December 29!! :)

Here is the buck COOSEFAN & younghunter are talking about....sorry for the delay. I got him around 9:30 Monday morning 10-29-07.

I glassed him up as he was heading over a ridge away from me at about 275 yds.. I could see that he was a shooter & had good mass but that was it. I quickly went down the ridge I was on & stalked up the other side to the last place I saw him. As I peeked over the edge I caught movement down below me to my left & could see it was "a" buck. As soon as I dropped the bipod legs on my .243 & got set up for the shot he stopped to look back in my direction...BOOM! I connected right behind the shoulder at 165 yds. & he was down! As I approached my buck I was pleasantly surprised with a bonus. Not only was he a beautiful 3x3....he was in FULL VELVET! :o

Congratulations to all the successful hunters...Bret

coues10-29-07043.jpg

Wow that is neat. Maybe it has to do with global warming or some hormone imbalance, yet it looks like a healthy buck that should of been arrowed Sept 1. Congratulations on an exceptional and rare trophy.

Bob

ps. nice caliber by the way.

I never killed a whitetail in velvet, but I did take a small mule deer in full velvet from the Doz Cabezas during an October hunt. We saw another small buck in velvet that day, too, but did not kill it.

I wonder if this has something to do with the year rather than individual animals.

Bill Quimby

Perhaps it has to do with the warm constant temps(no cold snap has yet) and/or the full moon??

Nice buck!

:ph34r:

saw my first one this year, unit 22 glassin for a guys hunt. it was with two smaller bucks that were hard horned one being a gigantic fork horn. the deer was probably 85" three point good eye guards and looked perfectly healthy to me. although have harvested a cactus buck in december in the same spot. pretty different though it caught me off guard.

Way to go Bret!!!!!!!

That is definitely a buck of a lifetime!!!