Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Trekking poles for hunting?

I will probably use my heavier pack and rifle this deer season and have an injured ankle that is more prone to rolling to one side when I carry a heavier load, especially in steep, loose terrain. I have been considering getting a set of trekking poles to help stabilize myself with my arms and take a little load off the ankle. I have seen many backpackers using them on hiking trails in the wilderness and they seem to work quite well for them. I would be moving cross country and have concerns they they would get tangled is stuff like scrub oak and mansanita and become an annoyance. If you have used trekking poles moving cross country while hunting I would be interested in your opinions on the pros and cons of doing so.

I use trekking poles all the time when I've got a long hike in or out hunting. Game changer for sure....

I also have ankle issues and have had to have my left ankle surgically repaired. I always thought trekking poles were stupid till I decided to give some a try for similar issues to what you listed. Outside of my shooting equipment and optics, it may be the best and most important piece of gear I own. Total game changer for me. I was walking slowly and taking very deliberate steps to protect the ankle, especially with a loaded up pack. The poles have probably doubled my speed and stability.

• Like 1

Same camp as the others. Thought they were dumb till I tried them. Game changer on the downhills with a heavy pack!

Another thread going on about them.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/74390-trekking-poles/

Shop around online before you buy. I got mine at close to 50% off MSRP.

• Like 2

Takes a little to get used to, then it's an extension of your body so getting tangled is not an issue.

Takes a lot of pressure off ankles and knees and distributes it through shoulders and back,

Also great for flipping a coiled snake out of your way!!!

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like about them is they are loud when walking on rocks. I bought some of the rubber feet from Home Depot, similar to what is on most tripod legs, and taped / glued them on the tips of my trekking poles. Helps with the noise.

I prefer the aluminum models. They don't weight that much more, are cheaper and seem more durable to me than the carbon.

• Like 1

i use the black diamond collapsible poles.

i can hook them to loops on the side of my pack when not in use, and grab them for when i got an elk quarter on my back.

they will save you.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/trekking-poles/trail-sport-3-BD1121910000ALL1.html#start=19

i've been happy with these.

my friend said don't get carbon poles, they flex too much under a load, which is a no go when you have an elk quarter on your back in steep terrain.

Black diamond carbon for me, these have been on 500 plus miles of trail here in az and still going strong. You won't regret it, they are super light weight. I use mine all the time to stabilize my binos for quick glassing.

Same story, never thought of using them and a guy at rei talked me into them for Grand Canyon and now they are in my truck at all times.