Sign in to follow this  
Explorer

Can game animals smell your lunch

I am curious if anybody thinks about what food they pack for the day and if animals can smell it. I like a good protein boost of tuna or some citrus fruit during the day. I have recently began to wonder if what I put in my pack is a scent bomb in the field..

We can all smell your lunch

• Like 1

If they can smell your lunch, you are walking in the wrong direction.

I have a tupperware container that I put my food in. Fits nicely in my large day pack.

I wouldn't worry about it. my dad and I stopped for lunch on the trail, talked and glassed for 30 min or so before 2 does jumped out of a bush not 20' from us. Another time a buddy and I stopped to eat, I was having Vienna sausages and crackers while talking and crunching away we hadn't noticed the doe and her fawn under a tree 20 yards from us. We watched that fawn sleep, get up and stretch, then sleep again for an hour til we walked off.

I could smell my hunting buddy chewing juicy fruit gum at 60-80 yrds. so anytime you are eating anything i'd bet there is a 90% chance they are smelling it if they are down wind or close .

the question is what odors alarm them!

• Like 1

If you've screwed the wind enough for them to small your lunch they already smelled you.

Pretty much this